1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Yamaha or Denon w/ Paradigm 5.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Nov 29, 2001.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

I have pretty much decided on Paradigm for my basement HT as they have great sound for the money. Now, no one carries Yammy, Denon and Paradigm together so looking for some advice. The system will be about 50/50 with DVDs and CDs. Im thinking Titans up front and Atoms for the rear. Have the receiver narrowed down between Yammy RXV620,RXV800 or Denon 2802. Now, the Denon has DPLII. Is this used for regular cable broadcasts to enhance them? Is it a big improvement over regular DPL?? The Denon also has DTS-ES which apparently is a true 6 channel mode(?). Any advice would be great as the features with the Denon are nice, but I want the best sound w/ the Paradigms. Thanx

Ps. I thought the Denon remote seems big and cheap.

2. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have a Paradigm/Yamaha match for about a year now and hope to soon get rid of the Yamaha. Movies sound very good, but the receiver is not very musical at all in my opinion. Paradigm speakers are bright speakers and Yamaha receivers are bright sounding receivers. The mix of the two is VERY bright for music. Mid to upper bass responce is just OK. I have heard the Denon 3802 and was impressed with its sound, but I don't know how the 2802 compares.

My system consists of:

Yamaha RX-V596 receiver

Paradigm Monitor 7 mains

Paradigm CC-370 center

Paradigm mini monitor surrounds

Paradigm PDR-10 sub

Good Luck!

3. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I have an Onkyo 595 with Paradigm Studio 20s up front and Atoms as surrounds and I am very pleased. I think either the Yamaha or the Dennon would be fine as well. I personally dont find that receivers sound very different from each other so I would buy a which receiver has the features you want. If you are getting a sub too you might consider getting Atoms as both mains and surrounds. I find the Atoms clearer and more detailed than the Titans, but with less bass. If you have a sub to handle the bass, then I think the Atoms sound better. Just a thought, either way you will have a nice system. Enjoy.

Nick