Help!!! Yamaha 5280 or Outlaw 1050?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Aug 24, 2001.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Mar 6, 2001
    I am looking to upgrade my receiver next month and currently have a little dilemma. The Yamaha 5280 is $50.00-$100.00 more than the Outlaw, but the praise for the Outlaw on this forum has been phenomenal. The Yamaha has more Optical/C0-AX inputs and a five channel stereo mode, as a well as aslew of useless (I'm told) DSP modes. Though the Outlaw is "only" 65 watts, I'm told that they sound better than similarly priced receivers with higher wattage. Neither have DPLII, and $500.00-$600.00 is definitely my limit. I would greatly appreciate any comments.
    My Current set-up:
    JBL NSP-1
    JBL N-26 (Fronts)
    JBL N-24 (surrounds)
    Sony SAWM 20 Subwoofer
    JVC 721BK DVD Audio/Video player
    Pioneer 343 DVD player
    JVC Cinema series-D 32-inch
    JVC 258BK five disc CD Changer with optical output
  2. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Sep 18, 1998
    I've got an Outlaw 1050 and am very happy with it. However, if DPL2 is something you want, maybe you should look at one of the Onkyo receivers. I think the 595 is the one that has DPL2, and is in the same price range, if not actually cheaper, than both the Outlaw or Yamaha.
  3. Samson

Samson Stunt Coordinator

May 15, 2001
    If you can wait a little longer it looks like you might be able to purchase a Denon 3801 for around $600. This might be wishful thinking on my part but a few months ago these were selling for around $1000-$1200. Now that the 3802 is out on sale the 3801 are selling for $670. They should go lower. I realize that your budget is $660 max. A lot of people on this forum absolutely love this receiver. Check out the reviews on Check out the classifieds here on There's a couple of people selling their 3801's in your price range.
  4. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Feb 27, 2001
    DPLII is nice, but first evaluate it's utility for you.
    buying a receiver based on amp power ratings as a measure of true power or quality is futile, manufacturers play games with the measurements to get what they want out of them(sometimes) or outright lie (othertimes).
    I have enjoyed the yamahas that I have owned (and still own an RXV995 THAT RUNS A little bedroom system).
    I ,too, have heard high praise for outlaw, but I would need to hear the unit A/B'd against other comporable equipment before I made up my mind (same speaker systems ,same room, same source equipment) our sonic memories are short. I ,also ,tend to do nothing but praise the equipment I have already, or am going to, purchase