What's new

HELP!!! XBOX having trouble reading some discs! (1 Viewer)

chris rick

Second Unit
Title says it all. Some titles work like gems, others don't. It is really weird--I've cleaned the XBOX and my discs are in great shape. A game will work one time and then not the next. I had ESPN NHL2k and it worked for awhile and never did again. I returned it twice more and the same thing happened. Now the same problem with Buffy: Chaos Bleeds which used to work fine, and with ESPN basketball--yet football and baseball work fine. I don't get it? Anyone?

MatS

Screenwriter
Xbox Owner Sues Over Defective Disk Drives
Thu 28 October, 2004 23:14

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A video game fan upset over a failed disk drive in his Xbox video game console has sued Microsoft Corp. MSFT.O on behalf of all Xbox owners across the United States..

The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday, seeks to represent anyone who bought an Xbox in the United State since the console's November 2001 launch.

The plaintiff, Sean Burke, said his console stopped reading any and all discs after less than a year of use, whether those discs were games, CDs or DVDs.

"The defective Xboxs stop working after minimal usage, after unreasonably, unconscionably, unusually and unexpectedly short amounts of time," the lawsuit said.

Microsoft had no immediate comment on the suit.

The suit seeks damages, restitution and various other costs and fees.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Hmmm... how old is your xbox? The launch boxes used Thompson drives which would cause read errors on some discs. If you bought your xbox within the past year, then you should have the newest drive. If that's the case, then the problem may be specific to your box (bad luck).

A little surfing and you will find a site that will have pictures of the different drives so you can ID the one you have.

I had one of the launch boxes and traded it in at EB games for 100 bucks. Then added 80 to that and bought a new.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
My launch-date xbox drive died after only minimal usage...happened after I played Knights of the Old Republic for about 15 hours. I don'tthink I used my xbox for more than 50 hours at that time, so you can say that the Mean Time Before Failure of a Thompson piece-of-s%$t drive is 50 hours of usage.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I have a launch xbox with the thompson drive and have never had any problems. I have hundreds of hours on my xbox and it keeps on kicking.

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmm...don't know about XBOX, but when that sort of thing happens on a PS2 its usually as simple as opening the case and using a q-tip to clean dust from the laser. Hope that helps.

Rodrick

Second Unit
Ha you see the story here. It happens with all DVD or cd type systems.

Thats why cartridge systems are first. But with Portability and cartridge still, they are way better.

I have a gamecube, but haven't had any freezeups or anything yet.

Warning don't buy any previously viewed games or DVD's.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
wait a second. half of my 200 DVDs and all of my cd based games are pre-owned, and i have yet to have a problem. the only problems ive had are with NEW discs. also, how do you explain the mystery that blockbuster (and other large retail dvd rental chains) can stay in business by renting 'flawed' discs? rental and pre-owned discs may be a bit more fragile than cartridges, but certainly not fragile enough to warn us.

CJ

James T

Screenwriter

Mine started giving me problems with KOTOR as well. I freaked and thought it was the disc. I remember people reporting problems with Morrowind, but I rented it and never had any problems.

Rainbow Six and ESPN baseball gave me problems. It was frustrating trying to play online, because half the time, it would freeze on me right when I was ready to jump into a game.

I guess I'm just lucky that I haven't run into any problems online/offline with Halo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks