What's new

HELP! Would this be a good setup? (Klipsch) (1 Viewer)

SterlingHug

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Hug
Hey there. I'm new here and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm a college student and I'm looking into getting a decent audio system for my new place. I've got a pretty nice 61 in Samsung DLP TV in a pretty large room (28 x 18). I was looking into the Klipsch Synergy Series. I did some research and found the B-3 bookshelf speakers. I was thinking I'd get those and the complementing C-3 center channel speaker. Would this fill the room pretty well while still maintaining a good sound? I'm also thinking of getting a sub later on...

This is for both music (rock/jazz) and movies.

Oh and also, what's a good receiver to drive these speakers?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is quite a large room. Especially if you are going to use these speakers at high volumes without a sub. Put a sub on your list.

Klipsch makes nice speakers but not everyone likes them. Speaker selection is very personal. What sounds good to someone will sound harsh to the next person. Audition them to see whether or not you like them. You don't mention surrounds. Why aren't you going with a full surround system?

As for receivers, we have a section here for them. Pick one that has the features you need. Auto calibration, HDMI switching, etc. Any decent name brand receiver will work. You just have to find the one that meets you needs.

-Robert

SterlingHug

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Hug
Mmm well I wasn't really thinking about getting the surrounds cause I didn't really wanna spend that much money. I might end up getting them later.

Regarding the sub, I have a 15 in Velodyne sub from like 1987 that needs to be repaired. The foam surrounding of the cone deteriorated and I need to get that replaced.

Do you think it's worth repairing, or should I just invest in another sub instead?

Logan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can probably get a DIY refoam kit for $20. There are 5 or 6 refoam sellers on Ebay. Subwoofer technology has grown in the last 20 years but at least it will take some of the workload away from your bookshelf speakers. Get the surround speakers. They don't have to be Klipsch. You can go cheap if you want. At one time I used Ford 6x9 car speakers for surrounds. Some surround is better than none in my opinion. Once you have your system running, then you can determine what needs to be upgraded next. If you get hooked on this hobby, it will become a never ending cycle of upgrades.

-Robert

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, buy the surrounds first, then the center channel.

If you watch lots of sci-fi and adventure movies, the surround channels will add lots of "texture" and just plain old fun to the audio part of your HT system. The center only makes sure people way off to the side of the monitor hear sounds from the center and doesn't actually have anything to do with creating the surround soundfield. Just make sure to program your receiver correctly i.e. "no center" so those center sounds will be redirected to the front left/right mains. Same with any back surround channels you are not using (though those signals will be re-combined with the regular left/right surround channels).

The Klipsch B-3s: I'm not sure exactly what you're definition of "room-filling" is, but to a 43 year old dude like myself
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
speakers of that size combined with their pretty high efficiency rating of 93.5dB should be able to produce levels that will completely drown out any normal conversation, and if powered by a quality receiver costing around a minimum of $300 and crossed over at 80Hz to a subwoofer.

As Robert mentioned, Klipsch's speakers don't please everyone and to my ears the Synergy series aren't the best match for music as IMO they have a rather "dry" and slightly in-your-face quality (their Reference series is a definite step above these but they are a lot more expensive). BUT......I think the Synergys sound great with movie soundtracks because of those same qualities (also: remember, a movie soundtrack is intermittant while music is continuous, so with movies that dry/in-the-face personality has much less chance to cause listener's fatigue).

Another brand of speakers that have a similar sonic personality is Cerwin-Vega's CLS series (to me their less expensive "VE" series is less refined and exhibits more of the famous ;) classic Cerwin-Vega "party hardy" sound). This is their equivalent speaker to the B3, and much cheaper too,* probably because of the Cerwin's....ah....manly looks i.e. they're more difficult to sell to couples (I used to sell HT gear).

* I wouldn't worry about the use of paper for the woofer cone, since paper is still one of the better materials around for that use: it's light, stiff and has good inherent damping abilities. It just doesn't look hi-tech. And there's lots of cheap plastic cones that sound like cow poop.

SterlingHug

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Hug
Ok I'm looking into the Cerwin's right now...

Would this be an appropriate receiver?

harman/kardon

I was looking into some Yamaha receivers too, but I can get 150 bucks off that one from Amazon...

SterlingHug

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Hug

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Actually, any speaker can be used as a surround speaker. Though if you are referring to tiny speakers - "sats" - that use 3 or 4 inch "woofers" as surround speakers, that's a different subject. IMO a certain company in Massachusetts is who popularized tiny speakers as the "only" way to hear movies/music, but I think that is simply marketing talk, not acoustics/physics reality.

While surround channels don't usually have much bass below 80Hz or so, the bass they DO have needs a certain size of speaker to reproduce it fully and in my opinion the sats described above - because of their physical limitations - will only provide a thin, weak or just overall unrealistic sound, especially with music. And I don't mean for just large rooms either. Based on personal experiments, going through several speaker companies' sites and looking at soundtrack mixing studios' speaker choices, a sat should have a least a 6.5" woofer or a 5.25" woofer at the very smallest. ---> My 6.5" woofer rule goes for front mains and center channels also.

Remember, you can also use "large" speakers for surrounds if that's all you have i.e. speakers that have 8", 10" etc woofers. FYI: all the speakers in my own surround system use 8" woofers.

SterlingHug

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Hug
If I'm understanding you correctly, it might be a good idea to get four CLS-6's (6.5 in woofer) and use those as for the left, right, and both surrounds with the CLS-6C (center channel to match it)?

Assuming the placement (ear level surround, etc...) and configuration is right, would this sound alright for such a big room, or am I gonna need something bigger than the CLS-6's?

Also, I'm now looking into a Yamaha receiver. The RX-V661 is knocked off almost 50% on amazon, so that's what I'm considering at the moment...

Let me know what you think?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My DIY speakers use 6.5" midbasses and their sensitivity is only average. I can reach concert levels in my 16x24 room when watching live performance DVDs. If you need any more than than you are already losing your hearing.

-Robert

SterlingHug

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Hug
Has anyone head JBL L830's?

Is JBL good for home audio? I've only heard their car audio...

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Yes JBL sounds fine for music as well as home theater. I have not personally heard the L830's, but have some Northridge series JBL's and am very happy with the way they sound.

SterlingHug

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan Hug
When it comes to the receiver...

in a room as big as 28 x 18, would 100 watts per channel be ok or would I need to look into something a little more hefty?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In a perfect world, going to a 200w receiver would give you 3db more output at full volume. In the real world, you are only looking at 1db or 2db increase at full volume due to discrepancies (they are liars) in the manufacturer's ratings and the power compression on the speakers.

Listening at a comfortable volume, you are averaging 2 or 3 watts of power. At high volume, you are averaging 5 to 10 watts. There are explosions in action movies that require more power but most of that is usually handled by the sub. That's why I use a pro amp rated at 2,400w to drive my sub. It barely breaks a sweat on peaks but can still shake the walls.

-Robert

Revenoor

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am a Klipsch-a-holic; now that is out of the way...agreed with that speakers are a very personal thing and some folks do not like the Klipsch sound, I do. IF you go Klipsch and you go older i.e. used (classic/heritage) and can not find a matching trio then the best bet is the Academy for a center. And I disagree with folks that say a center is less important. A MATCHING center in a HT environment is mandatory. My opinion!

I bought Klipsch first in 1990 (the Chorus IIs and Quartets) and lusted after the heritage line ever since. It took quite some time to make the deal of the century but the deals are there if you look and bargain, $200 for an Academy (1993 vintage) and $400 for a pair of Belles (1986 vintage) that can reach 104 db at 1 watt. Oh did I say I like the way they sound, again not everyone does. Take every oppportunity to go and listen to them all. Buy what you like.

Make no mistake, Klipsch speakers sound very different depending on the amplifier used. VERY DIFFERENT

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks