What's new

Help with Yamaha RX-V1 connections? (1 Viewer)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I'm in the process of changing from a Sony DA777ES to a RX-V1. The Yamaha has MANY more options as far as connections are concerned. Here's what I've got.

Yamaha RX-V1

S-Video connections galore, as well as Coax & optical for CATV / SAT.

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 "digital cable box"

LOL. I can't wait to get directivo! It has standard coax, component RCA's, as well as S-Video and digital coax audio.

Sony KP-61V80 rear projection

5 video inputs, with 2 S-Video inputs.
2 sets of outputs, TV out & video out.

Sony DVP-S7700 DVD

Component Video, S-Video, Optical, & Coax Digital.

OK, what to do now with all these options? Dump the RG-6 & composite Video hookups? Use S-Video & RCA's for the audio? Also, should EVERYTHING other than the RG-6 going in to the cablebox go in to the Yamaha?

KNOW THIS, I have 2 young childern that I don't want anywhere near the rack! They know how to turn on the TV, the cable box is set to turn on to Nickelodeon, and they don't need the receiver to hear the TV. I need to keep it that way 4 sure.

Also, I want to get my Time Warner 5.1 options as well.
It was showing "Dolby Digital Auto" on the Yamahas readout last night during the Sopranos. When I set it to no effect, it said Digital 2.0. I thought that it was broadcast in 5.1? Does anyone know if I need to use some sort of a mode to acheive DD 5.1 with digital cable?

Thanks for being here!
Patrick

:b

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not sure where the confusion is, Patrick. True, the V1 has more “connections and options,” but the extra connections aren’t an issue until add more equipment – right? So just connect everything the way it was on the Sony.
As far as “options,” they can be useful (like the digital EQ functions and front effects speakers, for instance), but you’ll have to read the manual and decide which ones will improve your system and which ones you want to use.
To answer a few of your specific questions:
Also, I want to get my Time Warner 5.1 options as well.
It was showing "Dolby Digital Auto" on the Yamahas readout last night during the Sopranos. When I set it to no effect, it said Digital 2.0. I thought that it was broadcast in 5.1? Does anyone know if I need to use some sort of a mode to acheive DD 5.1 with digital cable?
If the cable box has a set up menu, make sure it is set for Dolby Digital 5.1 output (if indeed that is an option).
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
If saying the RX-V1 was set to "no effect" I'll bet you mean Yamaha's EFFECTS OFF which is speaker selection for 2-chl stereo -- mutes center and surrounds.
On remote, select something like DD/DTS SUR to get Dolby Prologic mix for any stereo or DD 2.0 source or 5.1 in that case. On my Yamha, this select reads NORMAL; another click and it goes to ENHANCED soundstage. The rest of the panoply of Yamaha DSPs are just another button click away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks