1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Wilsonart laminate

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Yeatts, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I found some Wilsonart laminate that I must use on a project. It is Biltmore Cherry. Beautiful facsimile of wood. I ordered a sample. Still want to use it. However, the sample is very thick. This would appear to lead to an ugly edge showing on the edge of the laminate.

Has anyone here used Wilsonart laminate. How do you handle the edge so the seam isn't that noticable? Also, I would like to use the vertical grade. This is only .03" thick. Is this a problem? Any advice is most appreciated.

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Laminate has several grades. The two most used are horizontal and vertical grade, with vertical being ~1/2 as thick (1/32" vs 1/16"). As the names imply, horizontal grade is used for high use/wear work surfaces, etc. Vertical grade is fine for most speaker or furniture applications where durability is not needed. Filed edges of vertical grade are inconspicuous, depending on color.

Be careful handling vertical grade as it cracks easily. Once it's applied it'll be fine. Substrates need to be flat and clean as any imperfections will telegraph thru.

Pete

3. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Pete

How do you file the edges? TIA, I appreciate your input.

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Gregg, I recently used my first vertical grade laminate and it worked fine and the edges are barely noticeable due to its thinness. Do take the caution about easy breaking, however. Handle it carefully and youll be fine. Use a file carefully, applying pressure on the down (towards the joint) stroke only. I usually don't file - use a router.

6. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I plan on ordering the laminate from Tapease. How to they ship this stuff to ensure that it does not break or chip?

7. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I have not ordered laminate form them, but the 4'x8' sheet of veneer I got from them was rolled to about 1'x1'x4'. IIRC- It had foam end-caps to protect the edges. It was all boxed up in a heavy duty cardboard box.

It was VERY well packed to say the least...

Ronnie