Help with Whole House Sound

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian Kaze, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Brian Kaze

Brian Kaze Auditioning

We are building our dream house, and there is one last thing for me to figure out...wholehouse sound.

I am looking for something with good sound, that also has multiple room audio. Any ideas on where to look first?

I haven't had much luck...???

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Brian, can you give us some additional info:

How many rooms do you want sound in?
    Do you want to be able to listen to different things in different rooms at the same time (FM in one room, CD in another)?
    What do you want to listen to (Ipod, AM/FM, Sat radio, CD etc)?
    What level of control do you want to have....just a volume knob, basic keypad, touchpanel, something with source info?
    What is your budget for equipment and speakers?

Some companies to look at are Nuvo, Russound, Niles, Netstreams, Crestron (their Adagio line).

3. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

SpeakerCraft and Elan also make some nifty whole-house audio controller solutions...

We just need more information on the capabilities that you're going to want and at what approximate budget...

4. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

5. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Yes I agree with the Russound Suggestion at least the CAA, I Prefer the CAV even if you don't use the Video Distribution you still get all the capabilities of the R-Net interconnect. Their Media Server is Awesome. Store all you CD's on the Server and Enjoy 3 Simultaneous Streams of music just from the Server. Add a Russound Dual Tuner, and you still have one input left. We do Many Russound CAV systems, not for the average consumer to install.. lots of programming and technical knowledge is needed to set a system like this up. It's a Great Whole house solution especially if you want Multiple things playing in multiple rooms. Guess my question is do you need/want this ability? My own General rule of thumb is count the number of people living in the home that will have access to the system. If only Two people live in a house... you might want to stick with a simpler 2 Zone Amp system with volume controls. This would be a more achievable project for the Beginner+ type of self installation. If you end up wanting a multi zone Multi source system I would recommend you hire a professional installation company.

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    How about the CAM series....Save a little bit of money by not buying something that supports video, but still getting the RNET.

7. Brian Kaze

Brian Kaze Auditioning

Well, I'm pretty confused now. I've never had whole house sound, and I'm thinking of scrapping this idea for the new house. I may instead just run some stereo speakers to the deck and patio, and use a receiver.

8. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Don't give up so quickly, just realize that there will always be more than one way to accomplish your goals and thought needs to be put into it to determine how the system is going to be used. Realize that there will be an inexpensive and simple way and an expensive elaborate way. There are several questions you need to consider:
    How many people will be using the system? Will they want to hear different sources? How user friendly do you want the system to be? If the answers are
    more than one, yes, and I want it to be very user friendly, then go with a true whole house option like the Russound with keypads so anybody can control it without having to have a degree in rocket science.
    If, on the other hand, you think you want to only listen to one source at a time in multiple locations, then go with a receiver, speaker selector, and volume controls.
    I'm speaking from experience here, I wired my dream home with cat5 and speaker wire but the money ran out so I went with the receiver option and it works well enough but there are limitations. The receiver must be playing in the room where it is physically located in addition to any other speaker locations, if you need quiet inside while you listen outside, forget it.
    If I ever do this over, i'll be going with the Russound.

9. fredpamm

fredpamm Auditioning

10. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Yes that's almost exactly like the CAA that Marc mentioned. A nice piece for whole house sound.

11. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Mylan brought up a good point. He went with eh lower cost option, but he wired the house in a way that he can upgrade later. Running a cat5 from your gear location to each volume control location will allow you to upgrade to 90% of the keypad based audio systems in the future.

12. IHT_Dave

IHT_Dave Auditioning

I agree, I would wire for a simple system, eg 16/4 or 14/4 feed to the volume control, run your speakers from there, and wire a combination of cat 5e and a camera wire (rg59 with an 18ga pair) to the volume control from the electronics. This will give you the capability of using a russound, netstream, nuvo, Elan etc... or the ability of using more basic off the shelf components with a more advanced controller like RTI, or some of the new Xantech or Elan. This way you can at least get your house wired and the walls closed up, and you can figure the rest out later. I always tell my customers to wire for it now, weather you use it or not, spend the money now, instead of being upset with yourself for not having done it later.