Help with what to do with an AudioSource Amp One/A

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick Jablome, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

I have an AudioSource Amp One/A, which i received for a gift so i could power my passive Subwoofer. Sentimental value aside, i have found no use or value for this. I see on places like Amazon and other online stores when doing a google search, that it's worth like $199+ Since i now have a powered Subwoofer, and i dont use my old one, it has just been sitting with no use.

I was looking through the Home Theaters people have set up on this site, and seeing how they have an Amp themselves, but they dont explain what they do with it.

My question is: What can i use this for? In the back of it, is 2 speaker wire inputs, one for the left and one for the right channels. In the front you can control the left and the right. Also in the back are RCA inputs for Line In and Line Out. How would i use this for driving extra power to my floor standing speakers? Is there a way i can hook it up to my Sony STR-DE895 receiver to give power to that? Ive been contemplating on whether or not i should keep it or try to sell it, but im not sure if i can get what its value is in return.

Thanks for any input.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I believe that receiver has pre-amp outputs, so you could use it. You should hook the pre-outs to the pre-ins on the amp (RCA) and run your main speakers off this amp, since it will be a significant step up form that receiver's power. The only problem is, your center will now be lacking, though more current will be available to it because it will not be driving your mains.

What are your main speakers?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Nick, If your reciever has preamp outputs you could use it to power 1 or 2 channels. You could bridge the AS amp and use it for your centre channel. You could use the amp in stereo for your surround channels. You could use it to power a bass shaker/s. If your reciever has a multiroom output you could use it to power that. If you don't sell it and don't use it, I'd suggest you plug it in and turn it on for a few hours every month. The parts can get brittle from long periods of inuse. The amp could come in handy evetually for rear centre channel/s or any of the previously mentioned thangs. Best wishes!

4. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

I have these Floor Standings as my mains.

shop4.outpost.com/product/3655725

So if i hook up my mains up to the Amp, i should be able to plug them into a pre-out in the receiver? Will they still act as the 2 front speakers?

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Nick, yes. If you have a surge protector/power conditioner of some type, if you don't you should BTW,...something by Monster or Panamax, i.e., you may be able to leave the the amp's power switch turned on and have the conditioner automatically power it up when you turn on the reciever. When I used to have an Amp One, my Panamax 1000+ powered it up with a ten second (?) delay after my pre came on. I'd strive for a set-up along those lines since the power button seems rather flimsy. It would be a shame to have to have the unit repaired over the button.

Your address didn't work for me so I didn't see your speakers, no matter. When I first got my Amp One I used it for surround channels. Later when I aqquired a 200 wpc main amp, I bridged it and used it for a 200 watt centre channel amp. They're pretty good amps but they run a bit warm due to small heat sinks. Make sure you position it well for ventilation's sake. Best wishes!

6. John S

John S Producer

How much you want for it????

That amp is Bridge mode, makes a great subwoofer amp.

I am sure I will come across somebody who can use it.
    Maybe I can use it as a keyboard amp or something...

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That amp is a bit of overkill for those speakers, but it will still provide much more power than your receiver. If it is unopened, I'd try to sell it for close to full price. If it is opened, I'd keep it and use it for the mains. Yes, whether you use the pre-outs or the main speaker outputs, your receiver still knows that they are your mains.

The only issue I see in doing this, is that you will have to be capable of calibrating the system yourself, matching the amp's level(s) to the other speakers, or your system will not sound right.

8. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

Thanks for the input guys. I suppose i can put it to good use, though if i have to such things as buying an extra power conditioner for it, i don't think ill be able to afford to keep it. I supposed i can give it up for under $140.

9. John S

John S Producer

Keep it, if you ever decide to make a DIY Subwoofer, you will have a near perfect amp for the application.