What's new

Help with visit to NYC/Manhattan (1 Viewer)

RogerB

Second Unit
My wife and her sister are planning a trip to NYC later this month. They will be staying in an apartment located on the upper east side of Manhattan. None of us is familiar with NYC. Is this a good area to stay in? What should they try to see/do?

Thanks!

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
The upper east side is the best part of Manhattan, very upscale. I recommend the Guggenheim museum on 5th Ave and 89th st. The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Musuem of Natural History are just thru the park (Central Park that is) from there, on the upper west side.

Of course take in the Empire State Building also. There is also a boat ride around the island called The Circle Line.

There are so many things to do, you won't be at a loss at all. Have fun!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think the Upper East Side is a great place to stay, but then I've been here for 20 years. :)
With all due respect to Rick, the Museum of Natural History is on the other side of the park (take a cab across at 79th St.), but the Met. Museum of Art is right here, on 5th Avenue in the lower 80s (it spans several blocks). The Whitney Museum (contemporary art) is at Madison and 74th, and the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum (part of the Smithsonian and my wife's personal favorite) is on 91st just east of 5th Ave.
Once you're in Manhattan, everything is pretty close. The trick is knowing how to get there without getting snarled in surface traffic. As it happens, January is a great time to visit, because it's probably the city's least crowded month; the holiday crowds have gone, and people are hunkered down for the winter.
The single most-visited site in Manhattan right now is the viewing platform for Ground Zero, which is located on lower Broadway. People have been waiting in line for hours, even in the freezing cold. It's very easy to get there from the Upper East Side; take a number 6 subway on Lexington Avenue, transfer to the 4 or 5 at 42nd Street, and get off at Fulton Street.
The site below is an excellent source of current information:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/
M.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Our family usually visits NYC for the holidays. We stayed in the Plaza Hotel next to Central Park and the Marriot Marquis in the center of Times Square- best hotel view ever! I recommend those 2 based on personal experience and the BEST service I've ever had.
As for seeing the sites, don't count out Chinatown. You're missing A LOT of culture and NY if you've never been to Canal St. The womenfolk seem to love shopping in the cheap knock-off shops, and it's one of the few times I like shopping too. :) Hey a Rolex for $30 is a steal. (har har)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks