What's new

Help with video from VCR through component cables? (1 Viewer)

Vic Matthews

Auditioning
I have a combination DVD/VCR player from Samsung that I am running through my Pioneer A/V Receiver and onto my plasma screen display. I have a component connection and a digital coax audio cable running from the player to the receiver, and then component cables from the receiver to the display. This works great when playing DVD's.

However, when I try to play a video tape, I get no signal, so I ran analog RCA cables from the VCR out to the receiver's analog input, and an analog video cable to the analog video input on the receiver. Now I am getting audio from the VCR, but still no video. Is this because the analog VCR signal can't travel over the component cables from the receiver to the plasma display? Do I need to also run an S-video or analog line to the display in order to view video tapes, or is there another way to transmit the signal through the component cables?

Thanks.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Most (if not all) VCR/DVD combos do not pass VHS signal over component video or digital audio. You'll have to use analog audio and video. Most don't pass VHS over svideo either, but i think some do.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If your audio receiver does component upconversion then you could feed the video thru your receiver and upconvert from there. You likely won't notice a quality difference but the convienence will outway that I think. You'd still connect the video out of your dvd/vcr combo via analog rca outs to the receiver though while also using the component connection with your dvd player.

Definitely something to consider if you receiver does component upconversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks