Help with VGA to component connection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Aguiar, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Craig Aguiar

Craig Aguiar Stunt Coordinator

Hello. I am connecting a line doubler to my LCD projector. Here is the thing. The line doubler has a VGA DB15 plug and my projector has Y Pb Pr component. I know the cable is available but I can't spend $500 on it. Can anyone tell me where to get a reasonably priced one or even better, which pins on the DB 15 correspond to the three signals in the component video cable? I already have a 10m component video cable through my ceiling and could just fasion an adaptor. Last, could I use a DB15 to 5BNC cable, and just not plug into the two sync cables. Would the other three cables be in the correct configuration for the plug. Thanks for your help.

2. AndrewTheurer

AndrewTheurer Auditioning

Are you sure the HD15 output of the line doubler really suports the signals that are used in component video?

I have a tuner with HD15 ouput and a TV with componnent input, and I can get the two to work, but I have to tell the HD tuner (in this case HiDTV-Pro) to output a component signal instead of RGB, and I use the red, green and blue cables (I have a HD15 to 5xBNC cable), leaving the h & v sync cables unplugged.

FYI, I plan on making a really nice HD15 to compenent cable soon, because I suspect the HD15 to BNC is subpar. I could probably get you the info for HD15 pinouts, but it will be useless unless your line doubler really supports the proper component signals.

/Rant/ Why this industry went with component signals is beyond me. RGB is perfectly fine for analog signal; I see abosultely no advantage in component over RGB. It's not like we have a lack of standards already. No, we need -another- standard, just so the consumer can get screwed, again.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

In order to leave the H and V cables hanging loose, you need to be sure that the doubler outputs sync. mixed with the Y signal, which may or may not require a manual selection or jumper setting.

>>> Why this industry went with component signals ...

To economize on bandwidth for transmission and storage. RGB needs the full bandwidth (6.75 MHz for interlaced NTSC DVD, twice that for progressive) for all three channels. The DVD standard and the ATSC HDTV standards have half the bandwidth and half the horizontal resolution on the Pb and Pr channels. This takes advantage of the human eye's less sensitivity to incorrect or lack of color in very small picture details. Y/Pb/Pr has been around as far back as 1970, and the original NTSC spec used a "component video" based on Y with orange and green as opposed to red and blue.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Craig Aguiar

Craig Aguiar Stunt Coordinator

Hey. Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Yes in the instructions for the line doubler it says I can select component video output as one of the options. So what your saying is that you can use a HD15 to 5 BNC/RCA and just leave the two sync cables hanging. If you could find the pin arrangments in the HD15 cable that would be great. All i would have to do is use a multi meter to do a continuity check and then I would know my self but that would require actually buying the cable. That brings me back to the whole purpose of this note. I would like to use the cable already in my ceiling and just make an adaptor. If you could help me I would be very thankful. Craig