Help with upgrading Onkyo TX-DS838

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael McLeod, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Michael McLeod

Michael McLeod Auditioning

I am looking into upgrading my Onkyo TX-DS838 receiver. I would like to have component connections and more optical connectors. The new receiver would be connected to a Sony Wega 36FS12 TV, Pioneer DV333 DVD Player, Sony CD Jukebox, and Playstation 2. Should I be spending $1000 Plus for a new receiver to get the same quality receiver or is there a cheaper alternative? Any help would be appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you've been happy with Onkyo, I'd look for a deal on a TX-SR800 now that they have been discontinued, or the new NR801. You didn't mention what speakers you are driving or room size; does the 838 seem to have enough power for your needs? You should easily be able to find something to meet your needs at the $1000 level.

3. Michael McLeod

Michael McLeod Auditioning

The room size is approximately 12 x 12. The speakers are Infinity Reference Series 2000.5 Left and Right Front Towers, Infinity Center Channel with Infinity Bookshelf Surrounds, and a JBL PB10 Subwoofer. I did look into the Onkyo NR801 but wondered if the Network addition would be something I used. Also on the looking at list was the Denon AVR 3803 and the Sony ES STR DA series of receivers.