What's new

Help With Unit Suggestion (1 Viewer)

Dominic-B

Auditioning
Hello,

I am in the process of putting all my audio and video equiptment into one room of my house and distribute throughout the house from there. I understand most of the equiptment needed, but need help on suggestion of the distribution unit that all units plug into and distribute audio and video through the house. Also, a suggestion, is it better to setup as wireless control or wired control?

Thanks Dominic B

John S

Senior HTF Member
More specific information needed on this one...

Are you putting just speakers in each room you wish to distribute audio too? or Do you have a display with video and audio connections you are wanting to distribute to?

Or maybe a display and a full surround setup?

Dominic-B

Auditioning
Hello,

What I am looking to setup is having two rooms with surround sound, plus having all rooms with speakers for music. So I will need to be able to distribute audio (mp3, CD) to all rooms, but being able to choose which room or rooms to have audio played. Also having audio/video to rooms with surround. Sources of audio/video will be two tivos (direct tv), computers or other for mp3, surround system ect.

Thanks for the help

JR

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Domonic,

What your asking may be beyond the realm of this Forum. Distributed audio and video throughout a whole house is very complicated, requiring multi-channel amplifiers, video distribution amplifiers, not to mention provisions for remotely controlling all of it. Distributed surround sound is especially problematic; I don’t even know anyone does it.

If you give us some idea of actual use scenarios you envision (i.e., watching a movie in the main room, while playing a CD in a bedroom, etc.) it will be easier to make some recommendations.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dominic-B

Auditioning
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have to distribute the surround sound, I can set it up per room, at most two rooms will have it. Mostly interested in sending audio/video to each room remotley. Example, say I might be in room A, B or C, and I want watch a show from Tivo one, I can route it the corresponding room.

Thanks JR

John S

Senior HTF Member
These guys are your best bet for lots of products that can take care of just about any distribution issue you want.

http://www.muxlab.com/

Runs on network wire. Works well though.

Best of luck.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, that’s actually pretty easy. If your receiver has connections for two VCR’s or other video recording devices, you could use their output jacks. The output jacks carry the signal the recorder would record, and the receiver will always feed the signal of any selected input to those jacks.

There is a caveat with digital sources like DVD players: You also have to connect the analog L/R audio along with the digital audio. They are separate signal paths, and video recorders typically only recognize analog audio.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks