Help with Tweaking Sound. Avia or Video Essentials??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArthurM, Mar 1, 2003.

1. ArthurM

ArthurM Auditioning

Well I have had my Receiver for about 4 months. Now after reading the manual about 400 times I am ready. First thing I need to know is what calibration DVD to use. Avia or Video Essentials?? I just purchased the sound meter from Radio Shack. So far so good.

I have The JBL speakers Studio Series. Most people say there Bright. And I will agree with that. For some reason new out the box JBL's sound bright to begin with then settle down. I really noticed it with my rear speakers.
    I bought the rears about a month after my fronts. I was really thinking about returning them. Because you could hear the tonal difference from rear to front. But after about a month they settled down. WOW incredible.

Thanks for any help.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    You could get by with either one. I'm satisfied with my copy of Video Essentials but if I were shopping today I'd get Avia. Video Essential has a somewhat annoying menu structure and I've heard that Avia is more user friendly.

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have never used the Avia, but I borrowed my buddy's Video Essentials and sound meter and was pleased with the results.

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Is video essential still available? I thought they were out of print. I know that some video stores carry these calibration disks, such as blockbusters, so you may want to look into that and save some bucks. There is also S&V home tune-up which is less expensive then either and does a fine job with easy menus. I also believe that the V/E has a dedicated LFE signal which none of the others provides, so if you have the cash and can find it, I would pick that one up just for this feature if it's important to you, but double check on that info though- I'm not 100% it's the V/E disk that has the dedicated LFE signal. I went the S&V route. Good luck and happy tweaking!

5. Carl Mulder

Carl Mulder Stunt Coordinator

Wait for the new DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS because the audio demo's are much more advanced.
    It's out soon.

6. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

I use both.

VE uses true 75db as the pink noise. The sub level is the dedicated LFE signal.

AVIA uses 85db when your meter is showing 75db. The Sub tests are based on your bass managment. Any speaker set to small that low information below the cross-over point will be redirected to the sub.

Are all your speakers set to small? Use AVIA. Then you can check to see the LFE channel is in proportion with your bass management using VE's tests comparing the left speaker to the LFE (sub) test.

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Actually, you can use Avia's 6-channel pan, which DOES use the LFE channel, to check LFE level after using the regular subwoofer level tones. Avia's good whether your speakers are set to large or small.