help with tube amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Charlie C, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

I have 2 tube amps, one works and one doesnt.

I would like both to work. does anyone know where to get schematics or manuals of old tube gear? way too much info to search thru online. I think I just have to replace a tube but I still need to know which tube to purchase.

anybody?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Actually there is much more tube info on Audio Asylum than you can ever find here. I think if you can take a pic of the tubes and post them on AA someone will be able to tell you what tube it is. Who made those amps?

3. Charlie C

they are bogen mo-100 amps at 100 watts per. the working one is cleaner than any SS amp ive tested it against. Even a $1500 B&K amp had more hiss than this tube amp.

And they look cool all warmed up ;0

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I agree, a well designed and implemented tube amp doesn't need to have any more hiss than any SS amp. My 5W SET amp has lower hiss than most SS amps out there. The fact that they glow in the dark when making 'real' music is an added bonus.

I have never listened to Bogen but have heard good things about them. How many tubes do they use per channel to have such high output power? I am assuming they use one of the popular output power tubes like the 6550, KT88 or the EL34s?

5. Charlie C

i really dont know crap about tube gear Yogi. I know there are 5 glowing tubes on the working one and 4 on the non working one. there are only 2 large tubes, the rest are averave or small. I havent even taken the cage off of them. These were given to me, so I really dont know their history. but out of all the tube companies that went belly up, bogen (although they are mostly pro audio nowadays) still is going strong. maybe when I get loads of time, ill unpack them and take the cage off to see if I can get more ifo from that. Once I knew one was broke, I just boxed them up.

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Why you might even find them at your local Guitar Center too.

8. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

Post a picture of the tubes and I may be able to help. The smal ones I would wager on a pro/home audio piece are probably 12AT7 or 12AU7 (lower gain version of a 12AX7). and the larger ones are pobably 6L6 or 5881 possibly EL34 ot KT88s

9. Charlie C

thanks for the link to urbanradio yogi, I tried to email him and havent got a response yet. I should be getting the amps out this weekend and ill post what I find.
    thanks for the help guys.

10. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator