What's new

Help with trying to figure out my dvd audio downconversion problem? (1 Viewer)

kidelite

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Why is my 24-bit/192KHz dvd-audio 2-ch being downconverted to 96khz/24-bit when im running through 5.1 analog?I have a onkyo integra 6.5 with a pioneer dv-45a both are capable of as far as im aware of 24/192khz playback.also i am hooked up with 3 optical outputs one to xbox/dvd player and one to cable box in conjuction with my 5.1 analog.also i only have 2 dvd audios that claim 24/192khz 2-ch one being yes Fragile which i heard the 24/192khz was a misprint ok that i understand why that one is being converted to 96khz/24..bUT i also have t-rex Electric Warrior and its doing the same thing and havent heard any problems with that. im switching between multichannel which is were the 5.1 analog is hooked up and dvd which is were the digital is hooked up and when i check the display button on the dvd player its telling me digital format is being downconverted:frowning: ..i cant figure out why my player doesnt seem to register the fact when im running analog i have even tried switching off the digital out on the dvd player the only thing i can think of which i havent tried is unplugging all of my digital and only having the analog into the receiver and dvd player and see if i still get the problem being the player keeps telling me digital being downconverted its as if something is not seeing the analog any suggestions or help of what i may need to do would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows if either player is not capable of 192khz output i know both players claim to have 192khz dacs.so i assume they could output that:confused:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Paragraphs are a good thing.

The fact that the DVD player has 192/24 DACs means it can digitally decode the signal then send out an analog signal.

Most players can not output 192/24 digital signals through their digital connections, I think that 96/24 is the most that the standard consumer grade digital connection can support.

pat00139

Agent
Real Name
Pat Pilon
Philip is correct. The best quality DTS track you can get from standard DVD is 96/24, and even these are few and far between. I only know of a handful of movies that have that kind of DTS.

kidelite

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
That i understand but the 5.1 analog is analog not digital i have a few things hooked up optical which i understand is digital,and i also have the dvd player hooked up through the 5.1 analog jacks for dvd-a.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you haven't already done this, in my Pioneer Dv59avi audio setup menu there is the option for Linear PCM Out with Down Sample on or off. If your 45 has that in it's menu make sure it is set to off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks