What's new

Help With Toshiba Viewing Modes Needed (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I've had my new Toshiba 57H84 for a couple of days now and while I'm enjoying finally moving into the larger screen universe, I can't figure out these picture modes. The instruction manual is no help.

The Theaterwide 1-3 and Full modes all distort the picture in some way. Now on Theaterwide 1 it isn't very noticeable and does a good job of stretching, I still generally want to be able to watch DVD's unaltered.

I thought that was what "Natural" mode is for. But everything I play in Natural shows gray bars. Whether it's 1.33 or 2.35 the picture display area and size of the gray sidebars doesn't change. I've put in anamorphic/16x enhanced DVD's and non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's and I get the same result. I have my DVD player set to "16x9" display so I have no idea what the problem is.

Greatly appreciate any help...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
From a former post of mine:

Use "Full" for anamorphic widescreen DVD's.
Use "TheaterWide 2" for non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's.
Use "Natural" for Academy Ratio (4:3) DVD's.
Use "Natural" for 4:3 TV for OAR or use the stretch mode of your choice.
Use "TheaterWide 2" for widescreen TV (ER, Angel, etc.).

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Of course Natural mode is not good for the health of the TV as stated in the manual so try to keep your use of that to a bare minimum.

Most use TW1 for normal TV viewing.

TW3 is rarely used at all by anyone.

Regards

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
So what you're saying is there is no way to watch a 2:35 film in it's unmodified form unless I want to watch it with gray sidebars? This can't possibly be the case can it? Or is this something specific to Toshiba and I should return the set?

Craig

Second Unit

If the film is anamorphic/enhanced for widescreen, then watching it in FULL mode will give you an original, unmodified picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks