Help With Toshiba Viewing Modes Needed

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brook K, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I've had my new Toshiba 57H84 for a couple of days now and while I'm enjoying finally moving into the larger screen universe, I can't figure out these picture modes. The instruction manual is no help.

The Theaterwide 1-3 and Full modes all distort the picture in some way. Now on Theaterwide 1 it isn't very noticeable and does a good job of stretching, I still generally want to be able to watch DVD's unaltered.

I thought that was what "Natural" mode is for. But everything I play in Natural shows gray bars. Whether it's 1.33 or 2.35 the picture display area and size of the gray sidebars doesn't change. I've put in anamorphic/16x enhanced DVD's and non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's and I get the same result. I have my DVD player set to "16x9" display so I have no idea what the problem is.

Greatly appreciate any help...

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

From a former post of mine:

Use "Full" for anamorphic widescreen DVD's.
    Use "TheaterWide 2" for non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's.
    Use "Natural" for Academy Ratio (4:3) DVD's.
    Use "Natural" for 4:3 TV for OAR or use the stretch mode of your choice.
    Use "TheaterWide 2" for widescreen TV (ER, Angel, etc.).

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Of course Natural mode is not good for the health of the TV as stated in the manual so try to keep your use of that to a bare minimum.

Most use TW1 for normal TV viewing.

TW3 is rarely used at all by anyone.

Regards

4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

So what you're saying is there is no way to watch a 2:35 film in it's unmodified form unless I want to watch it with gray sidebars? This can't possibly be the case can it? Or is this something specific to Toshiba and I should return the set?

5. Craig

Craig Second Unit

If the film is anamorphic/enhanced for widescreen, then watching it in FULL mode will give you an original, unmodified picture.