Help with Toshiba SD6915 playing SACDs

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Babak Gohari, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Babak Gohari

Babak Gohari Auditioning

OK HT Gurus,
    Here's a question that's been baffling me. I just moved, and finally got my HT back up and running. The problem I have is with the Toshiba SD6915 (a new unit I bought after the move, and yes, I know there are problems with the unit, though I haven't encountered any... yet).

Anyway, I got everything [I believe] connected correctly. I have no problems with DVD-Video (sound and picture all crystal, full DD ES, DTS, PCM, and 480p video), and regular CD's play fine as well. But when I put in a SACD, I can't get any sound, period. If I manually make it read the CD layer, it works fine. But I cannot for the life of me get the SACD audio layer to produce sound through the receiver. It can't be the connections, because everything else is working fine. Is there something I'm missing?

Help please. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

-Bob

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I had a couple of these for a few days when they first came out and had no trouble getting SACD to play. Check the manual and see if you have to "turn on " the SACD output. Also make sure to switch your receiver to multi channel out. Don't remmember much about how the 6915 works since I didn't have them for too long. How about DVD-A playback? Any problems there?

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    you're using the 6ch analog connection to the reciever right, not the single digital connection?

SACD layers cannot be sent via digital for the 6915 (or many other players for that matter)

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

gene c and NickSo are absolutlely correct. The SACD MUST be sent out via the 6 channel analog output on the player. If your receiver does not have that 6 channel input you will get no sound when playing the SACD in multi-channel mode.