Help With Too Many Frigging Choices

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Darren S, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Howdy All,

Just been buzzing around and making my head swim trying to figure out what the hell I should buy regarding a modest HT. There are sooooo many choices and without ever having something like this before I needed to get some quick advice from you guys/gals who are obviously into this stuff wayyyyy more than me. I started out thinking that HTiB would be the easy way to go. So went out to Future shop and listened to the models I researched. They included the Sony DAVFX100W and a few others along the same lines including the higher end Panasonic etc. I found that they didn't impress me that much, they didn't seem to have much "Kick" as I could crank up the volume all the way and it didn't seem all that exciting. I know that those buildings are really large and alot of sound escapes, but I still felt that it should impress a little more. So I wanted to try piecing together something that might be more impressive. The problem was I did alot of research on the HTiB's , but didn't do much research on the separates. As a result I was kind of lost and had to take the word of the guy directing me around, but you know salesmen sometimes.... I don't have a great deal of dough to spend right now with the wife in University, but a gal friend can possibly get me the following stuff for 50% off. I'd really appreciate it if someone could have a look and direct me if this package would work out nicely or whether I'd be better of with different speakers etc. Even though the tv is a CRT I think I'll be happy with it. The room size is around 20'x20', the basic family room setup. The retail of the following setup is approx $3000 Cdn with the possibility of 50% off Saving = Approx $1600 Cdn Invested

Display:Retails Approx $1900

Toshiba 57H85C includes delivery and 5yr extended warranty

Sound: Retails Approx $1100

Yamaha 5850
    Athena Micro 6 Series Sub, Center, front and rears
    Panasonic DVDS29S Player or my Existing Sony 750?? Crap! Can't even remember the Mod of my sony

Any feedback good, bad or reconfigured would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I can't really do much on is the Toshiba as it gives me the largest viewing area with at the best price. Unless there's something inherently disasterous about this unit.

Thanks for any and all help in advance,

Cheers,
    Darren

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmmmm.. You want to be impressed....

Front Projection actually is the biggest size for your dollar these days and is about as impressive as it gets.

On the audio, this is tough. The need to be impressed is what is difficult.

Ebay Canada has Yamaha 5890's new for around $550 Canadian...

Not sure what subs are really available to you, but this has a lot to do with impressing as well.

Cost wise, I like the Velodyne DLS5000R, I think it goes by a different model number in Canaa though.

3. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I think you would be better off purchasing the equipment seperate (receiver, front & rear speakers, sub). You can usually get more bang for your buck. Some people enjoy the HTiB and fits there needs well.. it all depends on budget, room size, volumes/sound level you listen too, and the most important.. what sounds best to YOU. You are the one that is going to be listening/viewing your theater. HTiB usually falls short for a room size like you are describing. Look around some more for seperates and see what you like.. maybe come back with some other suggestions you are looking at and I'm sure the forum will offer thoughts good/bad/better ideas.

4. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Thanks for the hints so far but,

Maybe this was kind of a tough one to have an opinion on. Front projection would be nice, but out of the equation for this particular room. Maybe I'd be best asking this, if you had 1500 Cdn for a component audio system budget and had to pick from the retailer listed below what would be your picks from their inventory. I know that it may take a few minutes to browse through and choose, but if anyone could take that time I'd appreciate it. I know what sounds good, but putting the individual components together is like throwing darts and I'm not really that great at darts. Maybe someone here can hit the bullseye for me. Just a little background on this room again. The Family room is on the lower level approx 20'x 20' with 8ft ceilings. We do like to crank it up, tunes wise once in a while, but for most occations it would be for movie watching etc. You don't have to spec any Displays as that one is pretty easy for me. Thanks much for you time and hope you find the selection good enough to put something together. Apparently I havn't been here long enough to post a URL and I can't even type in the address???, not sure what's up with that but anyway, I'll tell you the name of the retailer and you can google it.

Here's the Retailer

Future Shop Canada

Cheers Again,
    Darren

5. John S

John S Producer

Has to be there? Limited products listed on their website.

I tried... I could not do it, given your requirement of wanting to be impressed. Any way I pieced a system together there, it went way over your budget for anything that could hold anywhere near reference type volume levels for any sort of duration.

Maybe forgo getting a sub for now. And get a Yamaha HTR6850B and 3 pair of JBL E30 speakers for the full 6.1

You add dual 12" Subs to this and you should have impressive.

6. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Thanks John,

A 6 pack of those JBL's would probably sound decent and add the subs later like you say. I'm guessing the most important is to get the proper receiver to start off with as it all starts there.

Cheers,
    Darren

7. John S

John S Producer

I like the E30's, good low extesnion, pretty flat response (A veyr good thing), and fairly efficient.

That AVR is a pretty good one from past experiences with it.
    Actually came close to it's rated power in professional tests and all that jazz.

8. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Thx Again John, Do you know if these will stand mount? I couldn't find anything on mounting options in the specs

9. John S

John S Producer

Yes, they Bookshelf, stand mount, and these even wall mount great.

The last two systems I installed actually used 3 pair of these with the Yamaha 5890 AVR, one of them with dual $138 Parts Express Subwoofers and it is extremely impressive.

For a system that cost around $1200 US total, I was floored by the performance it delivered.

The E30 makes a killer center, I take one over just about any dedicated center speaker out there $250 and under.

You get such a nice calibrated system when all the speakers match too.

10. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Okay, One more question is how would you set up the 3 pair?

3 in rear, 2, front and use 1 as center? Room is pretty much 20x20 square

Cheers,
    Darren

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Darren where in Canada are you located?

12. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Calgary, AB

13. John S

John S Producer

Yep, 2 Fronts, 2 surrounds, 1 center, and 1 rear center for 6.1, or 6.0 I suppose without a powered sub, all speakers set to large.

14. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Thanks for all the help John, I'm on my way out to have a look see at this stuff.

Cheers,
    Darren

15. Darren S

Darren S Auditioning

Just an update, went out and picked up 2pr JBL E-30's with 2x JBL-PB8's and a Polk Audio CSi3 center channel. Got the works for $600US/$700Cdn. Thought that was a pretty good deal for 7 pieces. I've read that the JBL subs arn't that great, but got them as a throw in with the bookshelf spkrs so I guess I can't complain too much. Hopefully they'll be acceptable. I havn't got a AVR yet so I just hooked it up to my old.....sony AVR. It doesn't have any dedicated Sub channels so I'm hoping they're not putting out near to their capability yet, but even with this limitation it sounds pretty darn impressive. The subs on "B" Channel have to share the power with the "A" channel front pair of speakers. Just another question here, do most of the newer AVR's come with the capability of dual subs? The salesguy I purchased this stuff from said his Bro bought a harmon/kardon AVR 225 just to keep pace with him and hasn't even taken it out of the box and is looking to get rid of it for $400US/500Cdn. Would this be a wise purchase? I know that the Man. warranty would probably go out the window, but if the $$$ is right would it be worth the risk. Sounds like it's brand new. I'd include the link for the harmon/kardon site so you can have a look, but I'm too much of a newbie to even post URL's

Cheers and thanx for the help,

Darren