What's new

Help with tips on settings with RP91 and TW40X81? (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
biggrin.gif
Ordered the RP91 Tuesday toreplace the Tosh 5109 I have had for 4 years. I have a TW40X81 ISF'd and was wondering what the best settings are on the RP91.Should I put the TW40X81 in full and use the aspect ratio control on the 91 or what.All tips will be appreciated.Thanks Steve Morgan.
------------------

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You'll find that the RP91 is light-years ahead of the Tosh 5109. I had a 5109 for a week on my TW40X81, and I HATED it (lots of pixelation when fast-forwarding or reversing, image breakup after pause, etc.). Colors were ok, but the chroma bug bothered the heck out of me. And this was before I knew what the chroma bug was!
Anyhow, here are some suggestions:
1) Use the component inputs, of course.
2) Push the progressive scan button at the front of the player. It'll shine bright blue and burn your eye out. :)
3) With a DVD in the player, change the display mode to "User Settings" aka U1. Normally it is set to "N". This overrides the default video parameters.
4) In the U4 menu, change the transfer mode to "Auto2". This will properly convert video (30fps) material to progressive scan.
5) Again in the U4 menu, change the Aspect setting to "Auto". Default is Normal, which will not zoom 4x3/letterbox material. Auto does.
6) In the U3 (or is it U2? can't remember) menu, experiment with the H and V-sharpness settings. Use the Avia Widescreen Resolution pattern. I set my V-sharpness to -1 and noticed a significant improvement.
7) In the U1 (U2?) menu, adjust the gamma to taste.
8) If your receiver can accept DTS digital signals, make sure the player's DTS setting is set to "Bitstream", which you can change from the Action menu.
9) Adjust the horizontal center of the RP91...it is usually set too far to the left for most people. Search this forum for the tweak.
Keep in mind that adjusting these settings will be the default for discs the player has not yet seen (the RP91 saves settings for 200 discs).
If your screen is pink, then you have the dreaded "everything is pink" problem. Again, search this forum to fix the problem.
------------------
Max Leung

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, don't forget to adjust your set's brightness, color, and tint with the Avia disc...I found my RP91 puts out a much darker picture than my DV-37. The color was also different.
You shouldn't need to re-adjust the grayscale, so that'll save you cash for not having to re-ISF your set.
biggrin.gif

Have fun!
------------------
Max Leung

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Hmmm ... gotta be some time dilation effect here. The SD-5109 came out in the fall of 1999. It's still only June 2001.
Gotta be dog years.
laugh.gif

If your unit is pixelating badly ... it is the unit itself that is problematic and not an indication that all the 5109 units were bad.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Max,
WOW! With all those problems how did you ever watch a movie?
wink.gif
I have to agree with Michael, it had to be your unit, since I currently have the 5109 coupled with a TW40X81 and do not experience such problems.
Thx......Shawn
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...yeah, it probably was a problematic player! Only had those problems when using the scan keys though. Of course, I recall a lot of people had trouble with their Tosh players though (typically disc compatibility problems).
The nice thing about that Tosh though was that it would not drop the digital signal to my receiver while skipping chapters or resuming from pause. My Yamaha DSP-A1, when it loses the signal, drops the audio down to prologic, and takes one second to resume the sound when I hit Play on my Panny A310, RP91, and Pioneer Elite DV-37. The Tosh didn't allow that to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks