1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with SVS amp decision--how much do I need?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by CollinMorphew, Jan 13, 2004.

1. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I posted and in that timeframe I've forgotten what I originally wanted to do!

Anyway, I have an SVS 16-38 that I bought from a fellow HTF'er. I wanted to buy an amp as well but had some other things come up and I never purchased an amp for the sub. I have the sub currently connectod to and ADCOM and gets 100 watts. With that, it sounds pretty good but I know I am not maximizing the ability.

Any suggestions on brand and/or watts that I should/could run to the sub? I've been really happy with ADCOM and run the rest of my 6.1 set up through them.

Thanks for any and all assistance/suggestions!

2. Paul_A

Paul_A Extra

I was going to ask the same question. I have a 20-39CS, and I am only running it on 80 watts. It sounds great, but there have been a few instances where I have noticed that it gets a little choked up, or the low notes in music aren't as powerful as they should be.

I think I will get the Samson S-700 since it fits the 20-39CS perfectly, but I was hoping to find a used one.

3. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

I've heard good thing about the NADY XA-900.

Google it and you shall see.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

QSC from Power Alley.

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

6. Paul_A

Paul_A Extra

I checked on the NADY XA-900, and musiciansfriend is selling it for only $180. The specs are listed on the site as 340W/ch @ 4 ohms, but the manual says it is only 300 @ 4 ohms. Would running the XA-900 bridged be harmful? Seems to me like it would, but I'm still learning. I also checked the NADY SPA 850, which is rated on the site and in the manual at 2 x 350W @ 4 ohms, and it is only about $40 more.

Would I be better off going with the NADY XA-900 or the SPA 850 than with the Samson S-700? The lowest I have found the Samson is $340, which is $120 more than the SPA 850. This extra $120 could be used to purchase something like the BFD. The only advantage I can see that the Samson has over the Nadys is a better look, but when an amp is in a closet, you don't really see it that much.

Thanks for your help!

7. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

There are many options you may want to consider. Be aware that some AV receivers or preamps will not drive pro power amps to their full capability without a boost in the LFE signal.

Zzounds.com has attractive pricing on a number of pro power amps. For example, the Crown XLS402A Stereo Power Amplifier with 400 watts into 4 ohms is $330 shipped.

If you are interested in a used amp, eBay often has used equipment at attractive prices. For example, there was a Samson S1000 for $200 buy it now recently. Always check the seller's feedback.

Partsexpress.com (also on eBay) offers subwoofer amps. They offer a 250 watt amp for $128 or a 500 watt amp for under $300 each with some additional features.

8. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the responses--for both and myself. Paul brought up one point I was wondering as well--I believe the SVS handles a maximum of 350 watts at 4 ohms--is that correct? (if anyone knows).

With that, I like some of these suggestions and will check them out. I don't think you're going to damage your sub running 400 watts at standard/reference levels--you would have to really be pushing it to do any damage. Is that correct?

9. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

You should be fine with an amp slightly bigger than the stated watts of the sub.

As for pro amps, the line level is different between consumer and pro gear. I use all pro gear amps in my system. I use an Ebtech Line Level Shifter to step up the level from -10dBV (consumer gear) to +4dBu (pro gear). You can go with out, but your pro amp will not be receiving the needed line level voltage. when mixing consumer and pro gear it is always a good idea to use some sort of line level shifter.

10. Paul_A

Paul_A Extra

I was checking around and I found the Rythmik Audio 350 at acoustic-visions. Has anyone had any experience with this plate amp? It looks like the best way to go since I don't want to have to worry about the line level if I use a pro amp.

11. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I have had good luck with the Outlaw M200 monoblock and like the conveniece of the auto on feature as well as no fan, it's 300 watts into 4 ohms. I have previously tried a Marantz monoblock, a Fidek pro amp and a Carver M-1. I find it takes around 200 watts to really take advantage of the CSi driver IMHO.

12. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

for info on teh Rythmik Audio 350 check the DIY section. From what I have read it is a realy good amp.

13. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If anyone lives near a Guitar Center, they are having a clearance sale that ends on January 31, 2004. Their prices are comparable to most Web vendors. The only exception would be state sales taxes. If you live in a state where you have to pay higher sales taxes, then you might order it on-line.

However, the prices I saw were:

QSC 850: $299 - this is their everyday price.

Crown XLS402: This was on sale @ $329. I'm not sure of the regular price.

The salesperson that I spoke with, recommended the QSC over the Crown because the XLS series from Crown was made quite a bit cheaper - in his opinion.

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

One thing that comes to mind Collin is that you might want to go dual in the future?? The QSC is built like a tank and can take a 2 ohm load off of each side and still not clip. Thats four subs!> Two off of each channel. It will not have the options that the rythmik will but that can also be covered for a modest price if you need it. Just a thought and I'm sure you will consider the whole pic in your decision. [​IMG] Which ever way you go you will be sitting good.

15. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

16. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

If you are on a budget I second the Rythmik amp from acoustic visions. Contact Kyle, he will take care of you.[​IMG]
    I am thinking on buying one to power my AV-12.[​IMG]