What's new

Help With Surround Sound System (1 Viewer)

darthmaul

Grip
Real Name
jordan
OK so I need a little help with my home theater system. I have an LG BH6820SW 5.1 Blu Ray home theater system and I was wondering how the hell do I use the surround sound while watching TV? I am thinking a need a couple extra cables or something but I'm not entirely sure, even so, do I have to have an LG brand TV for it to work with my TV? Any help would be appreciated.

darthmaul

Grip
Real Name
jordan
Seems like I might of fixed it as I set it to the AUX input on the receiver, but I am only getting sound from 3/5 of the speakers and the subwoofer is that normal? I was guessing it is since it's just sound coming from the TV.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Jordan, welcome to HTF! Not everything on TV is surround encoded. Tune in to a football game (like Denver/Baltimore, on now) and listen to the crowd noise.

darthmaul

Grip
Real Name
jordan
Steve Tannehill said:
Hi Jordan, welcome to HTF! Not everything on TV is surround encoded. Tune in to a football game (like Denver/Baltimore, on now) and listen to the crowd noise.
I have the game on and the middle speaker is working, the left speaker is working, the subwoofer is working and one of the surround speakers is working, I'm wondering if the cable I am using isn't working correctly. It's Blue, green, and red and the other end has what is comparable to a headphone jack of some sort that plugged into the 'audio input' in the back of my TV.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I don't see how that can work at all, being plugged into the audio input of the TV. It should be plugged into the audio output, if your TV has one of those. What is the model number of your TV? Perhaps we can track down the manual and see what it says.

darthmaul

Grip
Real Name
jordan
Steve Tannehill said:
I don't see how that can work at all, being plugged into the audio input of the TV. It should be plugged into the audio output, if your TV has one of those. What is the model number of your TV? Perhaps we can track down the manual and see what it says.
That's what I mean, the output...sorry I'm not good with tech terms LOL. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%22+-+32%22+Class+%2831-1/2%22+Diag.%29+-+LCD+-+720p+-+60Hz+-+HDTV/4840716.p?id=1218542604310&skuId=4840716 This is my TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your TV has a digital coax(says right there on the product page you linked). Your LG probably(I hope) has a toslink. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Optical-Converter/dp/B001622FL8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358032757&sr=1-2&keywords=coax+toslink solves your problem. Yep, your LG has a toslink.

darthmaul

Grip
Real Name
jordan
I think this would work since I have an input and output both of the TV and blu ray player http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358033127&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yes, the LG HTiB has an optical input. So Sam's advice to get an coaxial to optical converter and the related cables is perfect. Thanks, Sam! You can find the coaxial and optical cables at Amazon (their Amazon Basics brand is good) or Monoprice.

darthmaul

Grip
Real Name
jordan
The TV itself, via cable directly connected to the TV. The Blu Ray player acts as a receiver and a blu ray/dvd player, but on the back of it it as an input for the Toslink and in the back of my TV it has an output for the Toslink as well.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I thought the TV only had coaxial digital out? If it has optical output, simply run an optical cable from the TV to the LG and you are done.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you in the United States? That LG product info for the US shows a Toslink. That BestBuy/Dynex info shows a digital coax. They are nowhere near the same connector.

darthmaul

Grip
Real Name
jordan
schan1269 said:
Are you in the United States? That LG product info for the US shows a Toslink. That BestBuy/Dynex info shows a digital coax. They are nowhere near the same connector.
I am in the US , yes, though they do looks like same to me, I guess they aren't.

darthmaul

Grip
Real Name
jordan
Ah my mistake, the TV I linked you to is slightly different than mine at least according to the pictures, I am sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks