Help with Sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brandon>C, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

Well im new to world of suround sound so for my first set up i purchased a HTIB (onkyo 502) i know its not the best but for my first step its fine for now.

My question is my sub seem to provide very boomy base if it can be described that way. My room is a rectangle and the sub is in the corner of the room. Could i fix this by moving the sub, or is it my sub itself that is the problem?

Thanks for the help.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Brandon,

Subwoofer performance is VERY dependent on the placement in the room. Generally, corners tend to work best...preferably corners near the key seating positions. Also, it is very important to calibrate the system with a SPL meter if possible too.

How large is the listening room?

Tom V.
    SVS

3. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

The room is 21x16ft

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

That is a fairly large room for most "htib" type of subwoofers. Do you have the sub in a corner of the room---preferably a corner near the key seating?

If you like action oriented DVDs at moderately loud to loud levels...you may find a subwoofer upgrade is needed...but be sure to optimize the current system first.

Tom V.
    SVS

5. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Auditioning

Definitely corner load it near your seating position as Tom has suggested and make sure to calibrate it with an SPL meter. The meter will help at least get the correct output level.

The "boomy" bass is usually due to an undesirable frequency response(not flat). This can either be room induced or the sub not having a flat frequency response to begin with. I think in your situation you're probably fighting against both.