Help with Sub Selection please

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BrentG, Dec 2, 2003.

1. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

My current set-up:

A/V Receiver = Yamaha V2400
    Fronts = Yamaha NS-A2835 Towers
    Surround = Yamaha NS-A6335 Book Shelf
    Rear Effect = Yamaha NS-AC2 Center
    Sub = Yamaha YST-SW320

Room = 13’x21’x8’ (2184 cubic feet), one 4’x6’ opening into another room

I have never been real impressed with my Yamaha sub, it seems to have a lot of distortion and can’t “keep up” with fast low base sounds. I just got the Batman series and it really kills it, I can’t believe the amount of low base in those movies!!!

I have been shopping and planning on replacing all my speakers with Rockets in the not so far future. RS-750’s up front, RSS300’s for surround and RS-250’s for rear effects. Well then I got to thinking that I am not really unhappy with my current Yamaha speakers, but I am unhappy with the sub. So I think it makes more sense to replace the sub first and put off get the Rockets.

I have been looking at the SVS’s because I have heard so many good things about them, and I have read and learned enough to know that it is no easy decision to make and a pretty big hunk of change to spend. I also have looked at the Rocket subs but on paper they don’t seem to be up to what the SVS’s are?

I am considering the following

SVS 16-46 PC+
    SVS 20-39 PC+

SVS PB2-ISD
    SVS PB2-Plus

Rocket UFW-10

This is pretty much strictly for Home Theater movie use, music is not of concern. I listen at a pretty high volume but not ear shattering by any means. I am looking for good strong base, the kind where you can feel the punch as well as hear it if you know what I mean. Can I get away with one good Sub or do I need to go to duals, I have thoughts of hooking my SW320 into the surround channel when I replace it also.

Any advice I can get would be great, I know this can be a pretty deep subject, I have learned much by reading through the other posts on the subject already.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I assume you have no budget problems with all those listed? If that's the case, and you got room for it, the PB2+ will shatter any expectations of what a good sub can do. If you don't have the footprint space, then get the 20-39PC+, it will do a fine job and you can tune it down to 16hz if you'd like. You can't go up to 20hz with a 16-46. I personally ugraded from the 20-39PC+ to the PB2+, it's a pretty noticable difference. Though in my one day of owning the PB2+, I can tell even tuned at 20hz, it doesn't seem to go as low as the PC+ did, might be due to positioning. I can always try the 16hz tune since I've got plenty of headroom. [​IMG] Even so, the PC+ is still awesome and if you never had a cylinder sub, once you get one, I think you'll like it. I myself would have liked a single cylinder capable of matching the PB2+, but they don't make one......yet.

3. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

Well price is always a object of course, but I have long been of the mind to do it right the first time and you save money in the long run.

Foot print and size are not a huge problem, I can make it fit some how or another.

My other thought is getting a single 20-39PC+ and adding another to it if I decided I need more, well you don't ever "need" it I guess [​IMG]

Will Dual 20-39's compare to the single PB2+ ?

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I don't remember anything specific, but IIRC the PB2+ would best them by a little in SPL. This is with the PB2+ at it's stock 25hz tune, 20hz may be a different story, agian don't quote me but I think that's right. Either way I'd put the PB2+ at 20hz anyway just to ensure it can put out almost anything you could possibly play. If you went with 2 PC+'s I'd make sure you could put them both next to each other for maximum output and not split them across the room. Also I think the additional cost, even if the PC+'s were to best the PB2+, wouldn't really be worth it.