What's new

Help with Sub Selection please (1 Viewer)

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
My current set-up:

A/V Receiver = Yamaha V2400
Fronts = Yamaha NS-A2835 Towers
Surround = Yamaha NS-A6335 Book Shelf
Rear Effect = Yamaha NS-AC2 Center
Sub = Yamaha YST-SW320

Room = 13’x21’x8’ (2184 cubic feet), one 4’x6’ opening into another room

I have never been real impressed with my Yamaha sub, it seems to have a lot of distortion and can’t “keep up” with fast low base sounds. I just got the Batman series and it really kills it, I can’t believe the amount of low base in those movies!!!

I have been shopping and planning on replacing all my speakers with Rockets in the not so far future. RS-750’s up front, RSS300’s for surround and RS-250’s for rear effects. Well then I got to thinking that I am not really unhappy with my current Yamaha speakers, but I am unhappy with the sub. So I think it makes more sense to replace the sub first and put off get the Rockets.

I have been looking at the SVS’s because I have heard so many good things about them, and I have read and learned enough to know that it is no easy decision to make and a pretty big hunk of change to spend. I also have looked at the Rocket subs but on paper they don’t seem to be up to what the SVS’s are?

I am considering the following

SVS 16-46 PC+
SVS 20-39 PC+

SVS PB2-ISD
SVS PB2-Plus

Rocket UFW-10

This is pretty much strictly for Home Theater movie use, music is not of concern. I listen at a pretty high volume but not ear shattering by any means. I am looking for good strong base, the kind where you can feel the punch as well as hear it if you know what I mean. Can I get away with one good Sub or do I need to go to duals, I have thoughts of hooking my SW320 into the surround channel when I replace it also.

Any advice I can get would be great, I know this can be a pretty deep subject, I have learned much by reading through the other posts on the subject already.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I assume you have no budget problems with all those listed? If that's the case, and you got room for it, the PB2+ will shatter any expectations of what a good sub can do. If you don't have the footprint space, then get the 20-39PC+, it will do a fine job and you can tune it down to 16hz if you'd like. You can't go up to 20hz with a 16-46. I personally ugraded from the 20-39PC+ to the PB2+, it's a pretty noticable difference. Though in my one day of owning the PB2+, I can tell even tuned at 20hz, it doesn't seem to go as low as the PC+ did, might be due to positioning. I can always try the 16hz tune since I've got plenty of headroom. :) Even so, the PC+ is still awesome and if you never had a cylinder sub, once you get one, I think you'll like it. I myself would have liked a single cylinder capable of matching the PB2+, but they don't make one......yet.

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
Well price is always a object of course, but I have long been of the mind to do it right the first time and you save money in the long run.

Foot print and size are not a huge problem, I can make it fit some how or another.

My other thought is getting a single 20-39PC+ and adding another to it if I decided I need more, well you don't ever "need" it I guess ;)

Will Dual 20-39's compare to the single PB2+ ?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I don't remember anything specific, but IIRC the PB2+ would best them by a little in SPL. This is with the PB2+ at it's stock 25hz tune, 20hz may be a different story, agian don't quote me but I think that's right. Either way I'd put the PB2+ at 20hz anyway just to ensure it can put out almost anything you could possibly play. If you went with 2 PC+'s I'd make sure you could put them both next to each other for maximum output and not split them across the room. Also I think the additional cost, even if the PC+'s were to best the PB2+, wouldn't really be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks