help with sub please!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rich-R, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

Well, I just dove into the diy headwaters and built an ebs box for an av12mkII driver and a rythmik A350 basic amp. I finally got the box ready enough to try it out and put in the driver and amp. Connected it to my sony receiver and turned it on. Nothing. So either I have a bad amp, driver or screwed something up. I wired the coils in series to get 4ohms. What can I do to find the weak/broken link? Rich.

2. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Sometimes the obvious are overlooked - at least in my case. For instance, I forgot to tell my receiver that I had a sub, so the output was not turned on. So check that and the corresponding level for the sub on the receiver. If that doesn't solve the problem try hooking the subamp to a speaker known to be working - this assumes at least one of your pre-outs on the amp is working correctly.

I'm sure others will have more ideas for you.

Good luck.

3. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

Good suggestion Lance but I forgot to mention that I do not have a sep. sub output so I connected the sub to the speaker output to the high level input of the amp. One thing that I may try is connecting the speakers to the high level output of the amp and see if that works. rich

4. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

Do you get any output at all? If it seems like something is trying to happen, make sure the coils are not wired out of phase. I would connect to just one coil at a time just to see if it works (don't run it this way long if it does, as that is a two ohm load). When I received my AV15, one set of terminals was labeled backward (pos. was black, and neg. was red).

You can hook one of your main speakers that you know works to the sub amp just to see if it is working. And you could also hook the sub directly to the receiver's speaker output to see if it is working. If the sub does not work wired in series, try just one voice coil at a time.

Brian

5. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

no output at all, which has me concerned. I am hoping that maybe one of the wires on the driver came loose. This would make me very happy. Otherwise, I would think that maybe the amp is bad since I should hear at least something from the driver. Right? I am going to take everthing out of the box and try it in free air. I should see or feel something.

6. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

If that is the case, I would try the sub wired directly to your receiver and then one of your main speakers wired directly to the amp. That will tell you which one is not working for sure. . .

Brian

7. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

Thanks Brian, I am going to do that once I make sure that all of the wires are connected. I will also try the voice coils, one at a time. Wish me luck.

8. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

Well I got up this morning ready to fix this mother of a sub. Took out the amp and driver and checked all of the connections. Everything seemed intact. I then conected only one voice coil at a time to the amp and now each of them seemed to be working! What the heck? I then connected them again in series and nothing. Back to the drawing board/computer. I did a quick internet search and guess what? I was doing the series wiring incorrectly! I did it correctly and now I have all of this stuff in the house vibrating!! Usually I would not care for this but this morning it was music to my ears. Now to get this sucker finished with a hard maple top, legs and cherry veneer sides and calibrate it. Thanks for everyones help.

Rich