What's new

Help with sub placement in room (1 Viewer)

Greg->G

Agent
I just ordered a sub today, and I'm not sure where I should put it in the room.

ht tp://home.austin.rr.com/ggreenway/room.png

In the image the black lines are normal walls, and the red lines are a railing that opens up to the rest of the house (most immediately a huge open space). The little red boxes are the speakers (plus there's one more right on top of the TV).

The locations I am thinking about are corners A, B, and C. D is not a possibility because there is a door there (to a small bathroom).

I think B might be best because it is farthest from the open space. I think A might be best because more energy will bounce off the 14' wall, and less might go to the open space. I think C might work because it is closer to the listening postion. Anybody have any thoughts on this and what might work best? I don't have the sub yet so I can't test :frowning:

thanks!
Greg

ps-I can't post the image inline yet because I don't have 15 posts, so if someone else would, it would make things easier for everyone else. Just take the space out of http and you have the URL.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit

You have a room similar to mine. My best spot ended up being "B". "A" had some nulls and "C/D" made the sub seem too boomy and localized. Good luck.

Greg->G

Agent
Ok, I got the sub, and B turned out to be the best location. But now I have a question about placement of my main speakers. Before the sub came, I had the front left and right sitting fairly tight in the corners. Now with the sub in one of the corners I can't do that anymore. But I was wondering if, even if I could, is it a good idea to have them that close to the side walls? Will putting the left and right speakers right next to the side cause imaging problems because of too much reflection? I searched the forums and couldn't seem to find a good answer to this question.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
if I am not mistaken, which I might be, your assumption that too much reflection is correct. I think the speakers would lose a good amount of the center imaging that you would need.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Do you use the system for music also? If so, now that you have a sub to take care of the bottom end, you'll hear a big improvement moving the front L&R speakers a few feet out into the room and about 2-3 feet away from the side walls. For example, in my 13x20 room the centerline of the front baffle is 4 1/2 ft from the back wall & 3 ft from the side walls. You room is plenty big enough to do this. Corner placement is about the worst spot for the front L&R unless you are trying for bass reinforcement, which you no longer need.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks