Help with Sub noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Mill, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

I just finished my first sonosub and hooked it up to my old plate amp last night. At first I thought it sounded great, but then I noticed a vibrating distorted noise coming from the driver. When I touch the dust cap or rubber surround it stops, but as soon as i let go it starts again. Do you think there is something wrong with the driver or could i have something inside the sub that is touching the driver? Or could the amp be doing this? I am new to this so any help would be appreciated.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

3. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

The driver is pretty tight, but I am not sure if the sub is air tight, it is ported. How can I check that? If it does have leaks will that cause these kind of problems? Thanks.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

My patented trick is to stuff a nerf football wrapped in a plastic grocery bag into the port, and then slowly push in the driver cone and see if you have a lot of resistance to the pushing force applied. If so, your enclosure is pretty air-tight.
    What kind of load is the driver connect to run at (if it's a dual-voice-coil, is is connected as a 4 ohm load or 8 ohm load)?
    What kind of driver are you using?
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

5. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

The driver is a 10" BPD1001. I am new to all this so I dont know if it is 4 or 8 ohm.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

7. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Could it be the "ground" hum so many of us have experienced. Usually it from your cable T.V. - try unplugging your cable feed and see if it continues.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Scott,
    I had the same trouble with a car audio sub driver about 10 years ago. If I pushed in gently on the cone the rattling stopped. Turns out the voice coil was fried. At least that's what a dealer that I knew told me.
    I sure hope this isn't the situation in your case.
    Brian
    ------------------

9. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I'm just guessing here, but I wonder if it is some high frequencies coming through. If you put your hand on it it will damp out that high frequency vibration. Is your crossover set correctly to filter out the higher frequencies?
    If that's not it and everything is sealed and tight then my next guess would also be that the voice coil is fried.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

I took out the driver last night and put weather stripping and sealed it as good as I could. Before I took it out i plugged up the vent and pushed on the driver and air was comming out from around the driver. After I sealed and weather stripped i couldnt find any big leaks. I also cut some of the speaker wire inside incase it was touching the speaker. Put it all back together and it sounds great, no more noise, but i couldnt let it run long because I had to get some sleep. I will run it tonight for a while like I did the first time to see if the noise comes back. I hope not. Thanks everyone for your help. I will keep you posted.