help with Stryke Power 15.2 cabinet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeteE, Oct 22, 2001.

1. PeteE

PeteE Stunt Coordinator

received my Power 15.2 cabinet and have some questions on sealing it up. Do I need to seal all the inside edges, and if so what should I use ? What should I use to seal around the woofs ? Also, I;I've read that some people put foam inside the cabinet, should I do this also, and if so, what kind. This is my first dyi project so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Seal the inside seams with silicone caulk or something similar
    Seal the woofer and PR's with closed cell neoprene tape. It's usually found in the weather stripping section of the home center stores.
    Line the top and bottom with either waffle (egg-crate)foam or several layers of bonded poly batting

3. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

ThomasW is correct on sealing the woofer to the cabinet. Also use the same weatherstripping to seal the PR's. As far as the cabinet goes, if this is a cabinet you bought from me, there is no need for any further sealing. The cabinets I build are made from dual layer MDF with all seams being stepped. I assembly with Gorilla glue, the strongest polyurethane glue available. The polyurethane glues expand to fill gaps for a better seal, and with the edges all being stepped, the cabinet will be sealed very well. If you wish to caulk the inner edges, feel free to do so, but you should not need it.
    John

4. PeteE

PeteE Stunt Coordinator

John, what is the best type of foam to put in the cabinet ? I've looked around at a couple of stores and couldn't find anything.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Tim Christianson

Pete,
    Go to WalMart and buy a mattress pad (the one that looks like an egg carton) and a small box of polyfill. Cut the mattress pad and line the top and bottom of your cabinet with it using glue to hold in in place. You can also glue some of the polyfill in the corners of your sub.
    Tim
    ------------------

6. PeteE

PeteE Stunt Coordinator

Tim, I was talking to this guy at a DYI speaker store and he kinda adviced using against the egg carton foam. He tried to sway me to use a flat piece of foam about an inch thick. What are your comments on that ?
    I just really want to do the fill right the first time without having to keep removing a driver to try different fills.
    thanks for your comments.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Tim Christianson

Pete,
    As ThomasW stated above and John J has stated in the past, the "egg carton" foam should be used. That is simply what I have been told to use and I have no reason to doubt their suggestions. I have an HE-15 cube which John J. assembled for me
    which has the "egg carton" foam on the top and bottom which I installed.
    The sub sounds pretty good to me.
    I am not sure if the regular type would produce the same results though.
    Perhaps John J. or Bob Sorel can chime in here.
    Tim
    ------------------

8. PeteE

PeteE Stunt Coordinator

Tim, I'll just go with the egg carton type. What thickness did you use ? I've seen 1 1/2 inch and 2 1/2 inch.
    I think I read somewhere where it's recommended the foam be cut about an inch from all sides and then stuffed with the poly fill in the corners, was that how yours was done ?
    Has the HE15 meet or exceeded your expectations in bass output and low frequency response ?
    thanks for all your help
    Pete
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. Tim Christianson

Pete,
    There is a thread over at AVS forums in the audio section in which Bob Sorel details his construction of an HE-15 cube.
    Do a search under HE15 and it should come up.
    Yes, I used the 1 1/2 inch mattress pad and left a inch or so along the edges and then lined it with Poly-fill.
    The sub has exceeded my expectations in all regards. I have never experienced this level of bass before. I am sure you will be happy with it.
    Tim
    ------------------