Help with Strictly Stereo recommendation!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekF, Feb 10, 2003.

1. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

A friend has asked me for advice regarding purchasing a system for 2CH audio. I am more familiar with HT set-ups, so I would appreciate any advice you can give. Here are the specifics behind her request:

- 2CH audio quality is key (not necessarily quantity)

- Looking for one pair of speakers and required electronics (she already has a CD player). Speaker esthetics play a MAJOR role.

- No subwoofer

- Musical taste is jazz, blues, classical

- Budget = $2,500 Canadian ($1600 US)

I'm not really a stereophile, so I'm not sure if there is a different set of rules from HT...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

New or used? If she goes used she can get a pretty serious system.

-rob

3. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

New only, I'm afraid! [​IMG]

4. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

5. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Do they MAKE 2 channel receivers anymore?? I thnk if it were me shopping for a friend i would look at the Outlaw Audio receiver 1050, I think it retails for 499.
    http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...4-6898269.html
    Theat leaves 1100 bucks for speakers and a DVD player. yes i know she wants audio only..but come on now...everyone needs aDVD player.

speaker links.
    http://www.magnepan.com/1-800-474-1646/
    http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Web/Pages/cs1_6nws.html
    http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/2Celit2.html

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Rocket by Onix would definitely take care of the looks and audio quality. I don't know if the 750 would fit budget wise but the 550 and a receiver definitely would.

How does she like the looks of Paradigms? They got a tons of different finishes to chose from. They are a Canadian company with nice options in that price range. Totem is another north of the border company, that meets the requirements, to checkout.

7. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

Check out Totem speakers. They are great speakers, and for the types of music they will be used for, they will sound incredible. All of their speakers have a real wood veneer. And like Paradigm, they are priced very well in Canada because they are Canadian made. For your price range, I suggest the Sttaf speakers. That will leave roughly 6 or 700 for the amp.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/

8. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Well I justed posted this in the Receiver forum as well, but it would fit the bill here as well.

Most of the stuff below is French gear but all of it is designed with good aesthetics and good sound in mind.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated and JM Reynaud Twins MK III.

used Naim Nait 5 integrated and JM Reynaud Twins MK III

Other good integrateds:
    Unison Research Unico
    Blue Circle CS
    used Cairn 4808A
    Primare A20
    used Musical Fidelity A3.2

All of the above integrateds would go great with any of the French speakers; JM Lab, JM Reynaud, and Triangle.

9. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Totem's are also a very good suggestion. The little Arro's would be adored by a woman into looks and sound

10. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

11. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

An interesting article to read is entitled Hi-fi nirvana under $1,000? over at MSNBC by Gary Krakow. He builds what appears to be a very nice system for 1 grand, you could go a little more extravagent since you have a slightly higher budget, but I always find it interesting what he comes up with [​IMG]

12. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

With a budget of $1600USD for a pair of speakers and an integrated amp/receiver you could do quite a bit.

For argument's sake let's assume about $500 on electronics and $1000 on speakers.

I like the combo of KEF Q-5 ($900USD) with an NAD C-350 ($400USD) - very nice to my ears. Good asthetics too - three finish choices (black, maple and applewood).

From AV123.com you could get a pair of RS550s ($900USD) and one of their leftover Onix A-120 integrated amps ($400USD) or their Onix pre-amp/amp combo ($550USD). I haven't heard the electronics, but I have heard Rockets and they are quite nice. Great asthetics - real rosewood veneer (assuming she likes rosewood).

Of course being in Canada you could get Paradigm Monitor 11s ($1000USD here - cheaper in Canada) and some good electronics. Or you could see what you could get out of the studio line up there. Asthetics aren't quite as good as the previous ones, but still have finish choices.

Many forum memebers really like their Dahlquists and they are a good deal in Canada.

Also look into B&W and Dynaudio options. I like Dynaudio, but your limited to bookshelf speakers for $1kUSD in their line and without a sub I would rather have floorstanders.

As mentioned - there are TONS of options for $1kUSD speakers out there including many more brands.

13. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys! So far I'm leaning towards B&W 60x, Paradigm Studio 40s/60s...

Electronics are tough though, because is it really smart to buy a stereo-only unit, when DVD-A and SACD are gaining momentum? She already has a DVD player, so maybe someday she'll want HT....not now though...

"you mean I'd need a speaker in EVERY corner? Why? That would be ugly! No way!" [​IMG] Women![​IMG]