What's new

Help with Strictly Stereo recommendation! (1 Viewer)

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
A friend has asked me for advice regarding purchasing a system for 2CH audio. I am more familiar with HT set-ups, so I would appreciate any advice you can give. Here are the specifics behind her request:

- 2CH audio quality is key (not necessarily quantity)

- Looking for one pair of speakers and required electronics (she already has a CD player). Speaker esthetics play a MAJOR role.

- No subwoofer

- Musical taste is jazz, blues, classical

- Budget = $2,500 Canadian ($1600 US)

I'm not really a stereophile, so I'm not sure if there is a different set of rules from HT...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Do they MAKE 2 channel receivers anymore?? I thnk if it were me shopping for a friend i would look at the Outlaw Audio receiver 1050, I think it retails for 499.
http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...4-6898269.html
Theat leaves 1100 bucks for speakers and a DVD player. yes i know she wants audio only..but come on now...everyone needs aDVD player.

speaker links.
http://www.magnepan.com/1-800-474-1646/
http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Web/Pages/cs1_6nws.html
http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/2Celit2.html

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Rocket by Onix would definitely take care of the looks and audio quality. I don't know if the 750 would fit budget wise but the 550 and a receiver definitely would.

How does she like the looks of Paradigms? They got a tons of different finishes to chose from. They are a Canadian company with nice options in that price range. Totem is another north of the border company, that meets the requirements, to checkout.

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
Check out Totem speakers. They are great speakers, and for the types of music they will be used for, they will sound incredible. All of their speakers have a real wood veneer. And like Paradigm, they are priced very well in Canada because they are Canadian made. For your price range, I suggest the Sttaf speakers. That will leave roughly 6 or 700 for the amp.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Well I justed posted this in the Receiver forum as well, but it would fit the bill here as well.

Most of the stuff below is French gear but all of it is designed with good aesthetics and good sound in mind.
---------------------------------------------------------
Audio Refinement Complete Integrated and JM Reynaud Twins MK III.

used Naim Nait 5 integrated and JM Reynaud Twins MK III

Other good integrateds:
Unison Research Unico
Blue Circle CS
used Cairn 4808A
Primare A20
used Musical Fidelity A3.2

All of the above integrateds would go great with any of the French speakers; JM Lab, JM Reynaud, and Triangle.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Totem's are also a very good suggestion. The little Arro's would be adored by a woman into looks and sound

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Do they MAKE 2 channel receivers anymore??
There are numerous audiophile pre-amps that are stereo only, not many serious audiophiles will even look at a reciever.

If I wasn't getting so into DVD-Audio I'd be happy with a stereo music only system for my living room, I actually find it makes for a much better listening to music in a room without a large TV or screen taking up a large section of the room... but that's just me :)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
An interesting article to read is entitled Hi-fi nirvana under $1,000? over at MSNBC by Gary Krakow. He builds what appears to be a very nice system for 1 grand, you could go a little more extravagent since you have a slightly higher budget, but I always find it interesting what he comes up with :)

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
With a budget of $1600USD for a pair of speakers and an integrated amp/receiver you could do quite a bit.

For argument's sake let's assume about $500 on electronics and $1000 on speakers.

I like the combo of KEF Q-5 ($900USD) with an NAD C-350 ($400USD) - very nice to my ears. Good asthetics too - three finish choices (black, maple and applewood).

From AV123.com you could get a pair of RS550s ($900USD) and one of their leftover Onix A-120 integrated amps ($400USD) or their Onix pre-amp/amp combo ($550USD). I haven't heard the electronics, but I have heard Rockets and they are quite nice. Great asthetics - real rosewood veneer (assuming she likes rosewood).

Of course being in Canada you could get Paradigm Monitor 11s ($1000USD here - cheaper in Canada) and some good electronics. Or you could see what you could get out of the studio line up there. Asthetics aren't quite as good as the previous ones, but still have finish choices.

Many forum memebers really like their Dahlquists and they are a good deal in Canada.

Also look into B&W and Dynaudio options. I like Dynaudio, but your limited to bookshelf speakers for $1kUSD in their line and without a sub I would rather have floorstanders.

As mentioned - there are TONS of options for $1kUSD speakers out there including many more brands.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! So far I'm leaning towards B&W 60x, Paradigm Studio 40s/60s...

Electronics are tough though, because is it really smart to buy a stereo-only unit, when DVD-A and SACD are gaining momentum? She already has a DVD player, so maybe someday she'll want HT....not now though...

"you mean I'd need a speaker in EVERY corner? Why? That would be ugly! No way!" :) Women!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks