help with strange ONLINE-DIALER..???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_tomb, Dec 4, 2002.

1. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

While browsing a few days ago I was using the BACK button when like usual a whole slew of pop-ups appeared. What I usually do is just close them, but one wouldnt close...is was some type of sex site or whatever. When I clicked the X to close it more and more appeared....and I couldnt get it to stop. Then is said something about an ONLINE-DIALER and it acted like it was going to dial some overseas toll number. I quickly tried to stop it and eventually just unplugged the comp. Later I found somehow it had put some files in my computer named "OD-TEEN21" So I immediately deleted them....but now it came up again and I found like 8 of the same file listed on my comp. I deleted all of them and so far it hasnt appeared again. Am I worrying over nothing??.....Im concerned its some strange thing to try and get my comp to dial a long distance numer or something. Has anyone come across this type of pop-up ever??? And is there anything I should do to make sure my comp is okay or nothing happedned as far as the onliine dialing message it kept showing??

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Do a google search for AdAware, and download and run it. It should clean that crapware off your system. While you're at it, get yourself a good virus scanner, such as Norton AntiVirus 2003.

KJP

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I've had run-ins with type of thing before. They are a real pain int he ass. As long as you did not click "Agree" on any EULA of the program, I wouldn't worry too much. Heres a good way to make sure it's gone as well as any other Adware/Spyware that might be on your computer.
    Go to your Add/Remove programs menu and see if there is any suspicious programs that you did not install and remove them. Then grab a copy of Ad-Aware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com and run it. Ad-Aware has become indispensable for getting rid of the junk that gets on your comp.

4. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

What you described is precisely what it sounds like, an oversees dialer. They run from scripts in web pages. It shouldn't actually install anything on your box unless, as Travis mentioned, you clicked on "agreee" or "yes" or "---" and an install ran.
    Ad-aware usually won't clean it since it's not actually spy-ware, it's just a stand alone app.
    Of course, all this is info I've just heard, as I most certainly wouldn't be visiting any of those horrible horrible smut sights myself [​IMG]
    (believe that I'll tell you another) Seriously though, I have friends that run smut sites and have used these dialers. They are evil little apps if you aren't aware of them and have a modem plugged in to a phone line!

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You should probably run a pop-up ad stopper program too. It will stop all those browser pop-ups that may suddenly install nasty apps on your machine. [​IMG]

6. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

If you run Mozilla or its stripped-down counterpart Phoenix, you can set the browser up to reject pop-ups automatically.

7. BrianRE

BrianRE Auditioning

Find a program called Spybot, it is far superior to Ad-Aware, which btw doesn't see all the spyware out there. (I used to use Ad-aware religously) Spybot should find it, and any other nasties like that.