Help with squeeze on toshiba

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Jul 15, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

perhaps i am just ignorat about what thecompression mode is supposed to do or the squeeze or enhanced widescreen or whatever you want to call it.

I was under the impression that the squeeze mode merely ensured that no (or at least less) scan lines are used to produce the black bars. but when i turn on the compression on my 36hfx71 all it does is do a vertical compression making the actual viewable screen smaller. it makes a 1:1.85 movie look about the same size as a 1:2.35 movie

and it makes a 1:2.35 movie look even smaller, sure the scan lines are not scanning all of the black bars, but its not really resulting in a better image, just a distorted smaller one.

I am not sure if i am explaining this right so i will try a diagram

--------------------------
    black bars here

movie here 1:1.85

Black bars here

and with the squeeze mode on it looks like this

black bars no scan lines
    black bars (scan lines)
    movie here 1:1.85
    black bars (scan lines)
    black bars no scan lines

so all that really happens is the picture gets squeezed

is that whats supposed to happen? i had though the compressed mode would look the same but that the black bars would not be using up scan lines.

someone please clarify for me.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

When you set your TV to the squeezed mode, you need to change your DVD player's setting to tell it that it is now sending its output to a 16:9 TV. Right now, your DVD player still thinks it's connected to a 4:3 display, so it's still doing its own compensation on the image.

Once you change the setting on your DVD player, it won't try to do any extra calculations on the 16:9 image any more, and you'll get what you're looking for.

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

perhaps its my PS2 and if i knew that for sure i could live with it till i get a real dvd player, but when i set it to 16x9 mode i still get the extra compression.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

That's weird, I don't know what else might be the problem.

5. Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand Stunt Coordinator

That's normal. Exactly the same thing will happen on a 16:9 tv. If someone watch a 2.35:1 on a 16:9 tv there will be some black bar with scan line top and bottom that is exactly what you get on your TV. The black bar without scan line turn your tv into a 16:9 and then black bar (with scanline) are added if the ratio is wider than 1.78:1. Nonetheless, if you put the same dvd in with your tv at normal setting and your dvd not at 16:9 the image should be roughly the same size, altough that i noticed that usually the squeeze image is just a little bit smaller, but nothing as bad as you mention.

Rob
    Mtl, Qc

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Yeah Rob thats what i thought, and your right the squeeze is way too much, it makes a 1.85 look like a 2.35 that seems to be way too much to me.

7. Robert Mayrand

When a car stops before changing the engine you must check if there is fuel. Are you sure that the dvd movie you are using is anamorphic (or sometimes call enhance for widescreen) If it is not the effect would be as you describe.
    The black bars are normal, but the distortion is not. As you explain it, it seem that the image is too compress vertically.....so everyone must look a little stubby. Have you compare and measure the difference in height between a regular viewing and 16:9 mode? If this is not related to using a regular dvd Maybe you could go through the service menu an adjust the compression. Maybe this link could be of some help to you
    http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...hiba_tips.html
    Hope it help.
    Rob

8. Robert Mayrand

What was the movie title you used?

Rob

9. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

hi Rob, the two titles i used to compare were highlander (it says on the back that it was in a 1:1.85 ratio) and gladiator which is a 1:2.35 ratio.

with the squeeze mode on highlander takes up the same area of the screen as gladiator does without the squeeze mode. and witht he squeeze mode gladiator is even smaller. and yes the characters do look a little stubby.

I am not at home no so i cant double check this till later (but i wil when iget home) but the different modes on my PS2 (4:3 full and 16x9 ) all seem to give the same result. it is almost as if my changes are over ridden when i put a DVD in the player.... so i am thinking maybe it is just the PS2 which causes this problem. if i had component cables for my parents dvd player i would hook that up to see if it is just the PS2 causing the problem. but i dont really want to go out and buy those cables just to check a theory. and never use them again.

10. Robert Mayrand

Gladiator is anomorphic, but you must be carefull because when it is mention that a title is widescreen it deosn't mean it is anamorphic. And if the it is not anamorphic the vertical squeeze will not work and the effect will be as describe. Be sure that the mention anamorphic or enhanced for 16:9 is on the dvd sleeve. The aspect ratio is irrelevent. And be sure that the 16x9 mode stay on your ps2, i also suspect that this is your problem. You can use simple rca jack cable (red, white and yellow) as component cable to test your system with your parent dvd. You probably have those at hands and if not you can get some for 4$ at your local walmart. You can't do any damage, and you will be surprise to realise that the difference in quality is not that great.

Good luck and keep me posted of the result.

Rob

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hey Rob, I just tried my parents dvd player, and the squeeze was awesome, it worked perfectly, aparently the PS2 mucks it up somehow

oh well its just incentive to get a new dvd player sooner.

cheers

and thanks alot for the advice