Help with Sports Bar/Multiple Direct TV Receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertSing, Jul 22, 2002.

1. RobertSing

RobertSing Agent

I want to set up a room with 4 Direct TV receivers and TVs to watch football on Sundays. I have a few questions:

How do all the remotes work? If I want to change the DirecTV channel on one receiver, will the remote change all the receivers at the same time? Do I need different brands of receivers to get around this? Same question with the TVs - if I have all Sony TVs and try to change the channel will they all move at once?

As far as hooking up the DTV receivers, I assume they each have to be hard wired from the dish. I've seen 4 way splitters - is there a limit of splits I can do from a dual-LNB dish?

Any suggestions/input would be great. Thanks.

2. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

They aren't splitters .. they are called multiswitches, and you'll probably need one with multiple inputs (depends on how many different sat locations your dishes need to see) and at least 4 outputs. You run a line from each LNB to one of the inputs and one of the output lines to each receiver. The multiswitch allows each receiver to switch to any of the inputs.

Some of the receivers allow you to set a code (eg: 1, 2, 3, 4, etc) just for this purpose. You have to make sure the receivers you choose have this function. Then you can program each remote to send the proper code so it only controls one receiver (or program a more complex remote like an MX500 so you can control any or all of them from a single remote.)

I don't know about Sony TVs, but when watching the satelite receiver, you won't use the tvs remote anyway, but I think you would want to choose tvs with remotes that have that same programmable feature.

3. RobertSing

RobertSing Agent

David - thanks for the help. Do you know which DSS receivers come with this feature? What would this feature be listed as on a spec sheet?

4. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Sony does...