Help with speakers.... Is anybody using

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jon Musil, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Jon Musil

Jon Musil Stunt Coordinator

Monitor Audios Gold Reference centers, the GR LCR, as L/R mains and the center? FYI, I'm considering this setup because they are sealed cabinets and I avoid the problems of porting because the mains need to fit into an enclosure.

If so, what's your experience like? Would you do it again, or would you recommend some other configuration or different speakers for the money?([email protected]$1,000 each, can buy for $750 each)

I'm strongly considering this purchase by Friday of this week so any timely input would be greatly appreciated!

Any thoughts on matching the MA silver series center with 2 Gold series centers as mains? They use the same tweeter so I think they might be a timbre match.

2. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I looked at both the Silver and Gold Series but finally purchased EFE speakers made by Ed Frias. His T-22 model sells for about $1,000 per pair and it is a sealed cabinet design. I thought it sounded better than the Monitor Gold series. Run a search for them on this site and the AVS forum if you want more info on them.

By the way, Ed Frias is in the process of moving his operation from Southern California to Prescott, Arizona, so you may be able to swing by for a listen. If you are interested, contact him at [email protected]

3. Jon Musil

Thanks Torgny, I will send an email. Isn't this the company that doesn't have a website, so you can't check out the looks and specs of the speakers?

4. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Yes, but Ed Frias will send you an email with links to reviews, photos, etc. which is actually quite helpful. The problem for you may be that I don't think EFE will be producing speakers in Arizona until September. I don't know if you are willing to wait that long. I think it is worth the wait, but then he has already converted me to his speakers.

If you can't wait until September, Rutledge Audio, another internet site, was also very helpful to me when I was looking at internet speaker options. They seemed to have a comparable product but were farther away (I think on the East Coast) so I couldn't listen to them. They do, however, have speakers touring the country so you might luck out.

5. Jon Musil

I've exchanged a few emails with Ed of EFE this evening and appreciate the heads up about the EFE's!

I'd like to have anyone compare any or all of the following; EFE's T-22CF's,VMPS QSO626R's, GR research Diluceo's and Monitor Audio Gold referrence LCR's. Thanks!