What's new

Help with speakers for an Onkyo 595 (1 Viewer)

John Milanski

Auditioning
Hi all, first time caller...!
This is my first attempt at a HT setup. Based on the Forum, here's what I'm thinking...
1) own: Toshiba 32A40 32" TV, component in, 750 resolution
2) own: Celestion 9, 3-way (6-1/2", 4-1/2", 1" titanium) 100w speakers for mains
3) buy: Home Theater Direct Level 2's for rears and center ($218)
4) buy: Sony SA-WM40 subwoof ($175)
5) buy: Toshiba 4700 DVD ($230)
6) buy: Onkyo 595 receiver ($375)
Total new cost $998
The setup will be in a 15x15 vaulted living room, 50/50 music/movie use. The DVD-Audio and DPLII are important to me, and the Celestion 9s are bright and defined...
Celestion 9 specs
My main concerns are around the old (1992) Celestion speakers...
1) Will the Celestion fronts jive well with the HTD center?
2) If no, should I move the Celestions to the rear, and just buy HTD Level 3's for the fronts and center?
3) If yes, do I even need a subwoofer if I have the 3-way Celestions as fronts?
4) Best place to buy the Onkyo 595 and Sony SA-WM40?
Thanks alot in advance...
--john milanski

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I've got to agree with Thomas. The subwoofer is a must have. The Celestions F3 is 55Hz. You'd be missing out on an entire octave of bass without a competent sub.
J&R does have excellent prices.
I've heard so many good things about the HTD level 3's and only mediocre comments on the level 2's. I think it'd be worth it to spend the extra $120.

John Milanski

Auditioning
Yep, I guess a sub (like the Sony SA-WM40) is a good idea...
BUT, I'm still a little concerned about the speaker setup. I was hoping to save a little money by using the Celestion 3-ways as mains, and find three other, smaller speakers for the center and rears. But I'm concerned that whatever I buy won't mix well...
Are there other speakers, besides the HTD Level 3s, that might fit well with these more music-inclined, bright Celestions? And in the same price range (~$300 for 3)? I'm afraid 3 Ascend CBM-170s would be about $489...
Thanks again...!
--John Milanski

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks