What's new

Help with speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I'm really considering moving things around. Here's my situation.

I have a rectangular room. About 1/3 the way into the room to the left there is further room as if the room is L shaped. The extra width 1/3 the way is about 1.5m. Currently my equipment is placed inside this enlarged width area. The problem I see in this is that sound and bass might be trapped in the corners since the back of my speakers face directly at the corners. I have avoided the sidewalls by moving them up to avoid the 1.5m indentation.

I'm wondering if it's better to move things around and have my equipment at the end of the room length wise. The problem there will be that the extra width will be to the left of my left speaker. I'm not sure if this will cause more problems than before. But by moving I will be able to have my speakers further away from the sidewalls but the extra area to the left may give me some problems. Any thoughts?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have a little trouble picturing your room in my mind. The way things are now, is one of the speakers more in the "open" than the other speaker? You mention that this will be a concern if you switch to the other layout also. Just FYI, if your indentation is only 1.5m (4-5ft) then the speaker placed on that side will be slightly quieter (but not much) than the other speaker which has the side wall also to bounce it's sound off also. Is there anyway you could give us a diagram somehow?

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I don't have a scanner so I can't load a diagram up.

It's essentially an "L" shaped room. If you walk in to the room. After 5ft there is about a 10ft X 5ft area to the left which houses my equipment right now. And thus my speakers are currently boxed in by the 10ft X 5ft area. If I move things around. The 10ft X 5ft area will be to the left of my left speaker. Both speakers will have more space to their sides but the left speaker will be farther away from the side wall than my left speaker because of the extra area to the left. At it's current position. The side walls will be closer but distances will be more uniform.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks