Help with speaker info...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ben hunt, Jun 13, 2002.

1. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

I'm a home theater Newb...that's why I'm here. I'm looking to start a home theater system in my basement.

The measurements are 15'(W)X 25'(L) X ~7-8'(H)- low ceiling. There is no carpet and the walls are half woodgrain (ugh) and drywall (lower half of wall woodgrain upper half drywall). The room is shaped like so...

--------------|
    | |
    | |
    | |-----------------|
    | X |
    | |
    | |
    | C |
    |----------25'------------------|

The C= Couch the X is where I plan to place the system...it's really one of the only places I can place everything.

The Amp I am planning on is either an Outlaw 950 or a Pioneer VSX-36tx (or maybe a higher model on if I can get a good price). I plan on using it for both movies and music. (if anyone knows of possibly the "warmest" sounding receiver for around 1k please let me know).

I want to splurge on the speaker but not over kill for the space I have and the receiver I purchase. Maybe 200 or 250 per front speaker and 150 for back speakers. I haven't even thought about a sub yet.

Any ideas?

thanks

I just previews the post and the room should be shaped like an L flipped on it's side...sorry I couldn't get the drawing to work.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

When you're allocating your budget, keep in mind that the speaker is where the bang per buck can really shine.

There's nothing wrong with wood walls. I feel that wood surfaces affect music in a good way instead of reflective solid surfaces like concrete. Think about a wooden floor and carpet because playing music on a concrete surface might sound "bad".

There's no real point in deciding what speaker to buy based on the shape of your room. Also, your room dimensions don't seem to have any limiting factors on what you can buy. I would listen to various brands and look up audio stores to audition different setups.