What's new

Help with speaker decision. (1 Viewer)

Painterh52

Auditioning
Real Name
Harlund Hageman
Hello everyone; I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I have an older Pioneer VSX-D814 receiver, 2 Sharp tower speakers (CR4800 w/ 10" woofer, 5" midrange, and 3" tweeter), and a KLH E-1208 120 watt powered subwoofer. I recently won a 46" RCA "1080p" flatscreen TV. I am trying to set up 7.1 system (on the cheap for now), but need some input on surround speakers. I have been looking at buying 4 Polk "Monitor 30 series bookshelf speakers for my L R surround and L R rear surround. My living room is 15' x 17' and prime seating position is about 10' away. :confused: Would these provide good surround sound for DVD and TV? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Polk monitor series is often recommended around here. Newegg.com always has many of them on sale at great prices. I you mean the four surround speakers, two that go on each side of the listening area and two that go behind it, then the Monotor 30's are perfectly fine. Most people opt for the Monitor 40's (or 50's, 60' 70's) for the Front l and R speakers. If you really are on a budget drop the 7.1 and go for better front speakers or a better sub in a 5.1 setup. You probably won't notice much difference between a 7.1 and a 5.1 setup. Both my rooms are 5.1's.

Painterh52

Auditioning
Real Name
Harlund Hageman
Thanks, Gene C for your input. If I do go 5.1, would I be better off with Monitor forties for the L & R surrounds? The old Sharps and Klh are still doing a decent job, for now, especially for music. I am not in any rush to set this up the way it sounds best, but budget is probably my main consideration. Also, my Pioneer receiver is analog only (no hdmi). Can I convert component video out to hdmi and digital coax audio to get the best picture and sound?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For surrounds I wouldn't bother with upgrading to the 40's. The surround signal is only for background noise and ambience. Not worth the extra cost. 40's would be a better choice than 30's for the fronts, though. There are component to hdmi converters (check Amazon) but I'm not sure how well they work. Component is just about as good as hdmi anyway for video, 1080i vs 1080P, but your display will convert the "i" tp "P". HDMI receivers are mainly used for convenience, fewer cables and Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master Audio from Bluray discs. If you're going to use the 814 I would hook the video straight to the display and the audio to the receiver via digital optical or coaxial. I did it that way for years with nice results. You just have to switch the input on the tv to change video sources. Oh, and congrats on winning a 46" tv! :rock: I've never won anything :( .

Painterh52

Auditioning
Real Name
Harlund Hageman
Thanks so much for the info. I will post back when I finish getting set up and report on what speakers I purchase and how well it all works. I should correct my first post in that my wife actually won the TV, but I enjoy it tremendously compared to my 12 year old 55" Hitachi analog projection TV. It was great in it's day, but it was starting to go. Once you go "high def" it's hard to ever go back. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks