Help with speaker decision for Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leon C, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Leon C

Leon C Auditioning

I just took the plunge with that great deal on the Denon
    3802. Now I am trying to narrow down speakers. I plan
    to listen to the models that I can, but wanted to figure
    out what "packages" to ask about.
    I probably do a 50/50 split of music (mix of modern styles mainly as opposed to classical) and HT
    and will be using a living room with 10' ceiling and 18'x25' dimensions with some weirdly positioned (angled)
    side walls for the surrounds.
    My speaker budget is rougly $2500 and I figured on getting
    a SV Sub (PC model since I don't have a separate AMP) for around $600 -- that seems to be the subwoofer of choice, right?
    That leaves me about $1900 (I am not really going to consider shipping or tax, since $2500 is not a rigid value) for the mains, center, and surrounds. The brands I am considering that I can audition in local stores are:
    B&W
    Paradigm
    PSB
    Klipsch

I am also considering Rocket and Diva. For the Rockets, I
    am considering the RS550 / RSC200 / RSS300 package for $1800 or the RS550 / RSC200 / RS150 package for $1700 -- any opinions on which surrounds would be better for angled side walls in a large rooM/
    For the Divas, I am considering the 6.1 / R3 / C3 package for $1900 and even gave some thought to the 4.1 / 2.1 / C3 package for only $1200.

My question is what packages of speakers should I consider (with the $1900 max price) for the B&W, Paradigm, PSB, and Klipsch? Any other brands I should be looking at or have I hit the majors? Thanks.

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The Rockets are pretty nice. I am using the 750 and 200 up front and the 250's for surrounds. For me, this combination just sounds fantastic. From a practical standpoint, I can't imagine needing anything better. I don't know exactly how much this combo package is, but whatever it is, you are getting audiophile sound for an unbelievable price.

3. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Another option in that price range is the JM Labs Chorus line of speakers. The Chorus is their entry level speakers, their top line, the Grand Utopia's cost as much as $70,000 a pair. They have a good deal running through the end of the month where you can get their Chorus 725 Floorstanders, Chorus SR 700 surrounds, Chorus CC 700 center channel, and Chorus SW 700 sub, all for $1995. At retail they would cost a combined $2695. If you've never heard any of their speakers, JM Labs has a truely incredible product, receiving rave reviews in nearly all the magazines that have reviewed them. I would strongly recommend trying to check them out in person if you get a chance, here is the website for more info.
    www.focal-jmlab.fr
    Good Luck,
    Brandon

4. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

I think M&K has some great speakers that would fit your budget. I own the M&K 750 THX-Select speaker system. It sounds great for HT and music. Check out mksound.com

5. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm studio 40, cc center and adp surrounds is a killer setup.
    B&W 600 series is a sure bet also, as klipsch ref line.
    you should hear them for youself to choose. win win situation.

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I am a Paradigm person myself, so I second the Paradigm reccommendation. But all the others mentioned are good as well. Make a list and start the audition process. Find what you like best.

7. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Before I upgraded my speakers I had the Energy Encores which I would highly recommend. If you are looking for small speakers with large sound then be sure to try the Encores.