Help with speaker and receiver selection for first HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Wilcox, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Michael Wilcox

Michael Wilcox Auditioning

Hi, I found this forum a week or so ago and have loved reading the posts. I'm looking for suggestions on my first HT. I had been using a pair of Definitive BP-10's with a stereo set up with a Sony ta-e1000esd pre/pro and a Hafler DH-120 amp but the amp died a few weeks ago.

I'd like to use the BP-10's as mains in my HT. I need just about everything else though. I'm curious as to what surrounds and main speakers would match well with the Definitives. I have $500-600 to spend on the center and rears. I have about $300-400 to spend on a receiver. I had thought about using my current pre/pro for the set up but all the 5 channel amps I have found all seem to be out of my budget.

The set up will be mainly used for DVD and digital cable. I will be using a Pioneer DV-C503 as the DVD player. The room is where this will be in is 15 X 10.5 ft The tv will be on the 10.5 wall. The couch is about 11ft back from the wall the TV is on.

Thanks in advance.

2. Michael Wilcox

Bump

Any help with speaker selection would be greatly appreciated. I dont know how important matching the BP10s are or what speakers would match them.

Thanks

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

You should look at a clr1000b center channel (and maybe the C2 center) and bp2x/bp1x or ProMonitor 200/100/80 surround speakers from Definitive. For receivers, try to find a Yamaha receiver in that price range. You should be able to get some money off list for all these products. Good luck!

4. Michael Wilcox

How important is it to stick with the same brand speakers for everything, can they be matched with different brands? Will I notice poorer quality overall with my set up if I use good speakers, but none Definitive?

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I would strongly recommend using other Definitive speakers...this way, you will get a nice timbre match, since all DT speakers have similar sonic signatures. Good luck!

6. Rick RTM

Rick RTM Extra

I really like the Definitive BPX's they really fill out the rear for 5.1

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Oh that's another thing...I recommend that you go with the "best" center and rears that you can afford...keeping in mind that providing a seamless front soundstage (with left main, center, and right main) is the most important goal for your HT setup.