What's new

HELP WITH SOUND SYSTEM FOR NEW FAMILY ROOM! (1 Viewer)

MichaelGO

Auditioning
I am looking to put in a sound system to complement our new 65 inch Samsung UN65ES8000 smart television. The space we have is 16' 6" wide and goes back to the listening position of 15' 6" from the television. Behind the listening position the room extends back to a total depth of 49' 6" (an open eating area and kitchen back to the family room where the tv will be). The sound system will mostly be used for watching tv shows (80%), movies (15%), and music (5%). Ceiling height is approximately 8'. The front and center speakers will be housed in a built-in entertainment center. The opening for those speakers is as follows - side speakers - 4.5" wide by 11" high, center speaker 62" wide by 5.25 inches high. The room has hardwood flooring couples with lots of windows and sliding glass doors.

Can anyone tell me what components or system would work best in this space? I am looking to spend around $2000 or less. The current sound from the tv does not work well in our space. It often sounds very muffled at the listening position, but good 30 or 40 feet back. Because of this, I think we will need to use the sound system for all tv viewing. Any help you can give me regarding speakers, receiver, etc... is very much appreciated!!!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Sound from flat screen TVs is generally is pretty bad. It sounds like you have a very limited space you want to work in - which does not lead itself into anything resembling a surround sound system. I can see two options for you....but there are probably many more.

- For just better TV sound with minimal expense equipment and keeping the entertainment center size limitations - you can go with something like a ZVOX system - you would run 1 cable from the TV into the ZVOX, turn the TV speakers off, and use your existing remote to control the ZVOX sound. -- http://www.zvoxaudio.com/?gclid=CPfHrqzbq7gCFSFyQgodXCoAdQ

Their top of the line model will run you $500.00 - has the Dimensions: 36"W x 16.5"D x 5"H so it would fit into your center position, and be well within your budget. -- http://www.zvoxaudio.com/item/4005801/ZVOX-Audio-SoundBase-580/1.html#details

Thought not the greatest for a true movie going experience - this will be a marked upgrade to the sound coming out of your flat panel TV - and be very easy to setup and live with.

- For a home theater experience - you can go with a 2.1 system - and just leave the TV in the entertainment center. This will remove the size limitations of the center speaker (as you won't have one). That way you can get a receiver,2 speakers and a sub and have an option to later upgrade to a full 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system. Having the size limitation of having to be in the entertainment center will limit what you can do - but for 2G limit where you want better sound for mostly the TV - you could go with a 2.1 system -- place the 2 speakers on stands to the side of the entertainment center - run a phantom center speaker through your receiver.

I would start with a 2.1 system that can be expanded later - this will greatly upgrade your TV sound, and allow you to add other speakers later if you so wish - and be well within your 2G budget.
For Example - a 2.1 speaker package from HSU -- for $920 -- will leave you a grand to by any decent receiver and speaker stands. You will have 2 bookshelf speakers on stands on either side of your entertainment box, and a sub that will reach low and fill in the sound.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was originally going to leave this alone, cause I can't think of a single speaker less than 5" wide. Except for maybe HTiB. ORB audio (use Google) might be small enough, but I think you have too much room for those.HTD has a clearance 5.1 set for $180(in their discount/b-stock tab), but no idea if the center is short enough. All 5 cubes are the same. But, again, tiny speaker/large room.You might call Leon Speakers from Michigan. They custom make soundbars to your exact dimensions. They might be able to custom make three speakers to fit. You can find them via a Google search.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just thought of another option...but..1. Is it "sealed" where these are going?2a. Willing to do some DIY?2b. With your budget may not have to DIY.3. Willing to "cover" these areas...permanently? You could buy in-wall speakers where the woofers will fit within 5" and frame around them. Much easier to find speakers if you'll do this. It would be the same process as framing pictures to hang on your wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks