What's new

Help with Sound reduction on a open staircase (1 Viewer)

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
All-

Currently, my HT room is in my basement, and I have an open staircase that leads to the next level. I am trying to soundproof the HT room, without destroying the look of the open staircase. I realize that I won’t be 100% successful, but I’d like to reduce the sound as much as possible. Previously I built removable panels & a sliding door to encase the stairway, and only got about a 10db sound reduction. I am now thinking about framing the staircase, installing 2 panes of (glass?) for a wall, and finishing it with an exterior door. Please help:

1. Good idea, or waste of money?

2. Should I use glass, or something like Lexan? Any difference?

3. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks,

Chimo

MikePon

Grip
I have not done any sound proofing myself (yet, give me a month), but I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with a sound engineer from ASC.

In his opinion, glass will transmit more sound then wood. However, you can help reduce the sound transmission of glass by using laminated glass. Not sure of the price penalty of laminated over regular. I am planing on having double doors on my theater with stained glass panels. I will use laminated glass but they will be fairly small panels.

Hope this helps!

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
MikePon-

Interesting... I wonder if the laminate 'dampens' the glass. That's why I was considering Lexan (PVC), I thought that since it is not as dense as glass, it might reduce sound transmission. I know if I created a vacuum between the panes of glass it would work great, but I don't consider that a realistic option.

Chimo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks