Help with sound dampening??.....

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brent_j, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Brent_j

Brent_j Stunt Coordinator

I currently live in a duplex while my home is being built. I have a shared wall with my neighbor, I have thought about putting some heavy felt sheets all around my room to acoustically dampen the sound..... does anyone have any other suggestions on this?

Thanks!
    Brent

Reciver: Yamaha RX-V2400
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Fronts: Polk RTi10's
    Surrounds: Polk FXi3's (Di-pole/Bi-pole)
    TV: Mitsu 65313 65" Rear ProJo

2. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

well how much dampening do you want or need. You can sound proof that wall by putting up a false wall in front of it and filling it with insulation. bookcases help some with deflection. It really depends on how much work you want to do and how much you are allowed to do.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brent,

You’re looking for soundproofing, not sound dampening. Dampening is an acoustical treatment. It improves sound quality by reducing reflections. Soundproofing is reducing the passage of sound from one area to another. It’ll take a lot more than heavy fabrics to do that. In studios, for instance, they accomplish soundproofing by building walls more than twice as thick as normal with double sheetrock on both sides, etc. You can read more about it here.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Tim Bargar

Tim Bargar Agent

I'd listen to the movie soundtracks at a lower level until you house is complete. Soundproofing can be a major undertaking, likely more than you are going to want to deal with in the short term.

5. Robert

Robert Extra

Tim is right.
    I have done quite a bit of work in the studio and concur that this can be VERY expensive.