Help with Sony Wega XBR-450

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Theodore, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Theodore

Theodore Auditioning

I have a Sony Wega XBR-450. Should I have the 16:9 mode on the t.v set to auto? Also, what is the 3:2 pulldown feature? When I watch a dvd will I see black bars no matter what I do? Thanks very much!

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I believe the XBR's do not auto squeeze a progressive signal, only interlaced so you have to do it manually if you have a progressive player. Also make sure your DVD player is set to 16x9 output.

You will always have black bars unless the dvd is Fullscreen or 4x3 aspect ratio. You can set your dvd player to 16x9 and your tv squeeze to off and fill the screen but the picture will be distorted.

Get used to the black bars, thats the way the film was shot.

I can't comment on the 3:2 pulldown as I'm not quite straight on this concept either but it has to do with film and frames I believe.

You have an exceptional TV, use the 16x9 squeeze and set your DVD player to 16x9. The picture on anamorphic DVDs will be stelar.

3. Theodore

Theodore Auditioning

Thanks Jeff. I am using the dvd player on my x-box, so I don't have that many options. In the menu on my t.v I can set the 16:9 mode to auto or on. Should I just leave it on auto then? Also, in the menu I can change the picture (it says drc)to progressive, cinemotion or interlaced. Is this significant? Thanks again!

4. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Theodore,

Since you are using an interlace (ie., non-progressive scan) DVD player, you cannot turn off the 16:9 Mode on your XBR450. It's either "Auto" or "On". Leave it on "Auto".

Also, leave your DVD player in 16:9 mode all the time. The TV will automatically know if you have an anamorphic (ie., "Enhanced for 16:9") DVD or not.

Regarding DRC Modes:

Use CineMotion for most film-based sources (example: movies on DVD).

Use Interlaced for video-based sources such as cable TV, sports, or anything shot on video cameras as opposed to film.

Use Progressive mode for still-images.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Theodore, one of the reasons you've been informed you have an exceptional TV is because of the 2:3 pulldown feature. Simply put, it is circuitry that compensates for the difference in film's 24 FPS rate and video's 30 FPS rate. That, along with its high-def and progressive-scanning capability and its 16:9 mode, makes the XBR a much, much better-than-average display.

6. Carl Gilbert

Carl Gilbert Extra

With that TV, would seriously look at getting a progressive DVD player. Using xbox as a dvd source with that set is like putting chrome-nude-girl mudflaps on a Jag.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Agree with that, too. Get a decent Sony 715 prog-scan player. Much, much better than using a game console.