Help with Sony VL-900 Universal Remote / Possible to Add Descrete Codes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeM, Feb 27, 2002.

1. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I was hoping someone can help me with this.

I have a fairly simple task I'd like to do. I'd like to have the Sony VL-900 Universal Remote be able to actually go to the "DVD/LD" input on my receiver when I push "DVD" (button "0"), when I have AMP selected.

I'm using the Sony VL-900 Universal Remote with a Pioneer VSX-D608 receiver.

I entered in the Component Code from the manual for my receiver (code "032"), and it controlls many of the receiver functions, but not all.

Currently, when I have AMP selected, and press the AMP Input buttons on the VL-900, I get the following results for my Pioneer receiver:

AMP "1" - Video 1 (goes to "VCR 1" on receiver)

AMP "2" - Video 2 (goes to "VCR 2" on receiver)

AMP "3" - AUX (goes to "TV/SAT" on receiver)

AMP "4" - Tuner (goes to "FM/AM" on receiver)

AMP "5" - CD (goes to "CD" on receiver)

AMP "6" - TAPE (Nothing happens!)

AMP "7" - MD (goes to "TAPE 2" on receiver)

AMP "8" - TV (Nothing happens!)

AMP "9" - PHONO (Nothing happens!)

AMP "0" - DVD (Nothing happens!)

I've checked remote central, and found the descrete code I'm looking for for my device. The only problem is that Remote Central only has instructions on how to enter descrete codes into a Pronto remote, not the VL-900. Is it possible to get these codes into the VL-900?

There may be an easy thing I'm overlooking. But I've also tried the following with no luck:

* Tried using the alternate Pioneer component codes from the VL-900 manual. Got the same results.

* Also tried to have the VL-900 "learn" the direct input from the Pioneer remote, but the Pioneer remote itself doesn't have this direct function to go to the "DVD/LD" input. (However, the Sony remote can directly go to CD, Tuner, etc.)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunatly, there is no way to add discrete codes to the VL-900 without extra stuff.
    If you really want discrete codes, here's probably the best way to go about it. According to http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/faq.shtml the One for All Cinema 7 has the discrete codes you need programmed in. Get hold of a cinema 7 and use it to 'teach' the VL-900 the signals.
    The cinema 7 is fairly cheap ($30ish), but may be more than you want to spend. While its a very powerful remote for the price, it doesn't have the learning capibility or the ergonomics of the VL-900. You wouldn't want to replace your VL-900 with it, but it might make a good suplement, or a remote for a bedroom system.
    Off the topic, I really like the Sony VL-900. Its almost as good as the HTM MX-500, but significantly cheaper.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Duncan, ahhhh no wonder, thanks for the help. What's weird is that the AMP functions controls most of the receiver's inputs, just not the crucial DVD/LD input. What a shame.

I'll just learn to live with it then I guess. Other than this lack of a direct input setting for my receiver, this VL-900 is everything I could ask for. Works great with my TiVo too!

Thanks for the reply.