Help with Sony STR-845 Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricSm, Sep 5, 2002.

1. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

Was just wondering if someone on here could help explain some of the EQ settings on this thing. There is a separate control for each set of speakers(front, center, rear) that allows you to adjust the bass, treble, and midrange. Now, I understand the basic DB adjustments for those, similiar effect to just turning up the "treble" nob on any car radio.

But... what's with the all the hz adjustments you can do. What effect does adjusting those have on the sound.

I realize it's all user-preference, but should I essentially leave those as they are? I adjusted to the DB adjustments to suit my tastes. The Polk RM 6600 sounded pretty lifeless to me without this adjustment. I'm wondering what effect does messing the hz adjustments have? And how would that interact with the DB adjustments? Sorry if this is a confused post, but it's coming from a confused user.

Thanks!

-Eric

2. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

The 'hz' adjustments are the frequency that the 'db' gain or attenuation are applied at. 100 Hz is mid bass, 10 KHz is treble. There's a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea.
    T

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I leave the tone adjustments flat, period, regardless of receiver.

The "Hz" adjustments are to determine whether specific frequencies are sent to your sub or your speakers. Starting at the x-over, everthing will be phased in over one octave between the sub and the speaker being adjusted. This setting should be adjusted relative to what your speakers can actually handle in terms of bass.

With the 6600's speakers, I would experiment between 80Hz and 100Hz

4. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

Well, I understand the crossover settings. Those are entirely different setup menu. Thanks, however. These ones are located on the equalizer...Interestingly enough, according to the Polk forum the satellites have a built in high pass filter at 150hz..

Now, if I'm not mistaken, Tom is saying that by adjusting the "hz" on the eq I'm setting the frequency point that I want the DB gain to take effect? In that sense, wouldn't it be ideal to have a universal DB gain for the treble so that the "tone" of the sound doesn't change as it passes through the sound spectrum? Hope that makes some sense. It's all a little confusing to me.

-Eric

5. John Garcia

John

6. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

7. John Garcia

John
    In a satellite of this type, I would only expect to see a single x-over that distributes between the mid and tweeter. Seems odd that they would do add another high pass filter to the midrange at 150Hz.

I'm not sure on the "double" filtering. It may alter/affect the slope of the passive x-over in the speaker causing it to reduce sound much quicker (steeper slope). It could be an issue.