Help with Sony SA-WM 500

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Riaad, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Riaad

Riaad Agent

Hi

I just bought the Sony SA-WM 500 last week and I am having a few problems getting it to work using the line in connection.
    If I connect the sub using the line in and the subwoofer out on the amp, there doesnt seem to be any output coming from the sub. I then set all speakers to small and subwoofer on on the AMP. I then turned the crossover all te way up on the sub.Ther dvd is connected via a optical cable and when playing a cd there is output on the various sound modes like "theather, hall and 2 channel" but when playing a dvd there doesnt seem to be any sound from the sub ie.DD and DTS. So I then tried connecting using the speaker inputs. Connected the left and right to the corresponding mains and set them to large, subwoofer off.That works fine but I would like to get the line in to work because I have heard that its better and it also relieves your mains from trying to reproduce LF.

What am I doing wrong?.Please help.
    The amp is a HK 300 RDS.The crossover point is set to 100hz when subwoofer is set to on.

Thanks
    Riaad

2. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Riaad,

Make sure all your speaker wires connected correctly like + to + and - to -... I would set everything to "small" and LFE on or sub on (also check ur dvd player sometime the factory has the sub off or u might turned it off and forgot about it). Then I would check the test tones on the receiver just to make sure u can hear all the speakers (calibrate them if u have SPL metter or calibrate them by ears). Also check to make sure the power switch on the sub is on. Hope this helps...

Alex,

3. Riaad

Riaad Agent

Hi Alex

I have checked all connections on the sub and amp and they all perfect.The speaker connection however is not the problem.Its the line in connection using the single audio sub cable.I have also checked that all speakers are set to small and the sub setting to on. I tried using the test tones but the amp doesnt seem to give you the option of testing the sub using the internal test tones.
    The strange thing is that it works fine when playing music.Its only DD and DTS.

Any other suggestions .

Regards
    Riaad

4. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

I was shocked that no one else is helping you out w/ this. Let me take another stab at this. My guess is that your dvd player did not have Digital Decoder on. Most dvd makers set the decoder in PLII as factory default. Go to setup menu of your dvd player and switch DD or DTS to on (read dvd menu if you need to... different players have diff settings...) This should probably do it, unless you have a defected optical cable. Hope this will fix you up [​IMG] DD/DTS will provide you awesome sound. Enjoy ur HT...

Alex,