Help with Sony 333ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Stephan, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

Mar 6, 2000
    I'm helping a friend install his 333-ES into his system.
    He also has a new Sony P-Scan DVD player.
    The problem is that the receiver does not pick up the DD signal from the DVD and it won't pick up the dts signal either. The blue light does not go on and the display only shows L and R speakers. The menu on the DVD only shows Dobly Digital 2.0.
    It will detect and decode the multi-channel dts music CD I used and that's what's really baffling.
    I'm using a coax digital cable into the coax DVD input. It's obviously working or the dts music disc would not work.
  2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Jun 11, 1999
    It could be the DVD player. I think with Sony players you have to go into the audio output menu and turn on the bitstream detection for the digital outputs for both Dolby Digital and DTS flagged data.
    The reason you're getting DTS decoding from the DTS CD is that the carrier bitstream flag on those CDs is PCM. Not the same as a full proprietary DTS bitstream on DVD.
    Also, be sure the digital coaxial source for the receiver is set to AUTO detect mode.