What's new

Help with Sherwood avp-9080 issue (1 Viewer)

ChristopherW

Agent
I am trying to run two separate Dolby Digital sources to the AVP-9080(DVD, Digital Cable). My problem is this:

I cannot get sound from both sources when both are connected to the pre/pro. One component is hooked up via digital coaxial, and the other via optical. However, I can get Dolby Digital output from ONE component when both are connected to the pre/pro, BUT only the component that is connected via the digital COAXIAL cable.(Both components have both digital coaxial and optical outs) How can I get both sources to cooperate with my pre/pro?

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.:angry:

ChristopherW

Agent
update- after fooling around some more I think I've narrowed the problem to the optical connection of the pre/pro.

I get Dolby Digital sound from the optical connection ONLY when I turn off the pre/pro and source and then turn everything on again. Also if I switch sources once I have turned the power back on I lose the ability to have Dolby digital audio, and I have to power down again.

If I take a peek inside the pre/pro through the top of the vents I can see the red signal light of the optical connection blinking when NO sound is coming out, and no light when the connection is working.

Any ideas?

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't worked with the AVP-9080 in some time and won't be back in the office for a couple of days. In the meantime, please call Eugene Chavez at Sherwood Technical support (800) 962-3203,ext. 115. He should be able to help you.

Jeff Hipps

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I can't help you with your problem - sorry - but I'd like to ask how good is the 9080? Aside from your problem, is there anything you don't like or wished it had?

Thanks

ChristopherW

Agent
The AVP9080 is a great unit. I think the issue I am having is a technical issue, not a design flaw. I don't have anything bad to say about the unit at all.

However there are some things that I would like to see. More digital inputs, more component video inputs, decoding of all sound formats. Automatic detection of sound formats would be nice also.

Remember though this unit is several years old, and thats the reason why this unit doesn't have these features. I don't think many units of the time period do have these features. If these features aren't essential I would highly reccommend this unit. But if you need the new features check out the new products coming out at www.sherwoodusa.com. I'm putting my pennies in the piggy bank for when these new units come out.

Chris

P.S. Thanks for the followup Jeff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks