What's new

Help with setup of wireless network for Xbox live (1 Viewer)

David Glenn

Second Unit
What's involved in configuring the wireless router in a passive mode to act as a bridge back to the main wireless router/internet connection?

Andrew P

Second Unit
I just wanted to say I setup my wireless network last night and it was simple (the first time ive ever done anything like this). I purchased the Linksys router with a wireless notebook adapter and a usb port adapter for my computer. I will run the X-box live directly from the router. I just wish I could purchase the X-box live kit early. Oh well...

Andy

Terry_D

Auditioning
I haven't gotten Wife Approval on the two Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless routers yet, but it's my understanding that this is indeed possible and infact fairly common. I've heard from a couple of friends that they've successfully done this exact thing. Also, there was a similar thread in the Video Games Hardware forum last week (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=105055 ) that discussed this same topic. The last post there has a quote regarding this same setup.
Since I havne't purchased the routers myself yet, I cannot offer step-by-step instructions for configuring them, but I do believe that it is possible...
Just tryin' to help people save a few $$.
Terry

Jason Rimmer

Auditioning
While I prefer Linksys for my wireless hardware why on earth does the 10BaseT/802.11b bridge cost as much if not more than a 4 port 100BaseT 802.11b wireless router!? While I can understand the ecomonics of supply/demand that's a bit crazy.

While I could just pick another wireless router and run it in bridge mode I'd prefer to spend as little as possible on a simple WET11 like bridge (especially as I'll need another bridge for my Tivo).

Can anyone recommend a cheaper bridge unit?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Jason - You can get the D-Link DWL-900AP+ from Office Max for $70 after a $20 mail in rebate. I don't know anything about it but have been considering picking it up myself. The rebate is only good through 11/16 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks