Help with setup of wireless network for Xbox live

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew P, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

Im planning on getting X-box live this week. I currently have DSL and I want to setup a wireless network, but I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me out? and how much am I looking at spending?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

3. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

Sounds easy enough, but how will the X-box and more importantly my desktop and laptop hook up to this network. Do I need separate adaptors for each of these?

Thanks,
    Andy

4. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
  5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Anyone try gaming via a wireless network yet? Is there any noticable lag? I would prefer to get set up this way rather than running Cat5 to my living room...

6. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

Now I am officially confused. Please let me know if I have this right.

I need the following:

1)Linksys Wireless Access Point Router
    2)Linksys Wireless Ethernet Bridge
    Then one of the following items:
    3)Linksys 5-port hub or
    4)Linksys 5-port auto-sensing switch

If I buy these 3 items this will enable a wireless network for my laptop, desktop, and X-box.

Thanks again,
    Andy

7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Let me be the first to point out the obvious. You don't have to buy Linksys products. There are many manufacturers that make wireless networking hardware.

I'm looking to go wireless with my XBox also but I'd like to hear what kind of performace people are getting before spending $200 on a router and access point.

8. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I'm looking into the same thing... xbox and PC over wireless. I'm also looking at Linksys, very good reputation, but not my only option.

From what I understand. I need the wireless router, and one access-point for my PC. My plan is to go with a cable modem though.

From the modem to the router (hard wired), then Xbox to the Router (hard wired to one of the 4 ports), the using one of the Access Points hard wired to my NIC on my PC and I'm good to go (they also make a PCI card for wireless connection, but why replace something that is working perfectly).

For some great information and connectivity options, go to Linksys website and look around, very helpful and lots of options.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'd like to do this as well Currently I'm dragging my DSL modem downstairs to my Theatre it's a pain. Problem was I and the Brother in law ran 50 ft of Cat 5. I had tested it and all was well. When I went to hook up the XBox it would not detect the Provider. I tested my Line and now it was dead. The Brother in law must've sank a nail into the Cat 5 as we were stringing it. What a major bummer. I don't want to have to repeat the whole proceedure again. So I'd like to go wireless, but now it's either drop the $200 on that setup or buy some live games ! I think you know what I'm doing. Looks like I'll be carrying that modem a bit longer.

10. Chris Rock

11. Michael St. Clair

I've done benchmarks, at most I am getting 5ms of additional latency by going wireless. With WEP encryption there is also a reduction in overall bandwidth but that is only going to effect LAN throughput (think local file transfers), not internet throughput.
    5ms of latency is basically nothing.
    I think that people who believe they are getting lag from wireless are actually having packet loss and mistaking it for lag.
    Once again, here is the list of supported routers...don't buy one without checking the list.
    http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/connect/routers.htm

12. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

13. Terry_D

Terry_D Auditioning

I'm thinking of going with a set-up that includes 2 of the Linksys wireless routers. Basically I'm planning on wiring my cable modem to the main input of one router and my computer into that same router. Downstairs, I'll have another wireless router in a passive mode to act as a bridge back to the main wireless router/internet connection.

The main benefit of this is that the second router can also act as a hub and provide access for XBox, PS2, GCN, TiVo, anything.

The cost difference between a wireless to ethernet bride (with one port) and a second wireless router is < $20 most places, so it makes sense to do it this way.

There's a thread from last week in the Videogames Hardware forum that discusses this same thing.

Terry

14. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

That's good to know Brian because the DLink DI-713P is one of the routers I've been considering and there's no mention of it on the XBox Live page.

15. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Brian,
    That makes me very happy too as the DI-713P is the exact wireless port I will be using (with a DWL-810 unit) for Xbox Live! I have the DWL-810 hooked up, ready to go but obviously don't know if it would work for Live! yet or not.
    BTW - Great router for those with parallel port printers. We can put our laser printer anywhere in the house now and all networked devices have full access to it. Really nice little bonus for going wireless [​IMG]

16. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I still think we should have an offical thread regarding this subject or some kind of FAQ. More questions will come once we XBL is offically off and running...

17. Chris Rock

18. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

19. Terry_D

Terry_D Auditioning

If anyone's interested in the 2 router setup that I mentioned in my previous post, Amazon has the Linksys Wireless Router (BEF11S4) for $90 After $10 Rebate until 11/16. This router is actually now $5 cheaper then the one port wireless/ethernet bridge.

Terry

20. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I love the fact that wireless stuff is coming down in price
    !